Additional Data Byte for Sensor Installation Rack Communication?

Hey guys. I have a question for you guys that I need to figure out. I've been going through the process of building an open-source lighting application in MaxMSP that (for now) is being output through an Arduino USB to DMX512 converter. Images and details here: http://iad.projects.zhdk.ch/physicalcomputing/hardware/arduino/dmx-shield-fur-arduino/

I finally got a code that worked perfectly with several Chauvet min Spot Fixtures that I was testing with. I could use my software to control those particular fixtures sending straight DMX512 protocol, I.E. Channel, Value (0-255)

When I went to go test on my rack though it didn't work. I'm using an older Sensor 48+ Installation Rack from about 6 years ago with the necessary analog converter with 5 Pin wall jacks. To get an idea of it's age, rather than the newer CEM+ Control Module I have a module with the blue button keypads (0-9, Dimmer, Thru, etc.).  I didn't get an error message when I pressed reset, rather it just said the same thing "Port A1 Ready." I had all my virtual faders up so that I could verify if it was doing anything at all. I verified with my Leprecon LP-X console that the rack was working and that was able to dim fixtures just like i normally would from the same wall jack and that was fine. 

Thus the question is: 1. Is there any additional data byte that I need to know about when trying to communicate with these racks, as in setting a com port or sending a binary 1 to tell the rack that a console is plugged into it? It seems that what data was working on my Chauvet fixtures should also work on the rack. 

2. Is there a potential problem since I'm using a converter cable to go from 3-Pin DMX to 5-Pin for my wall jack? I made sure they were all connected, but it certainly does add a variable I didn't have to worry about with my Chauvet fixtures. 

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me. 

-Aaron C.
MCDELTAT Productions

P.S. It was recommended that I purchase the PDF or hardcopy of the ANSI DMX512-A Protocol Specifications. Are there any developers that have found this handy? I didn't want to purchase it just yet because I don't believe it would address the issue that  I'm having above. 

Parents
  • There are a couple of possible problems you might be running into.

I would certainly first check that the wiring in your 3-5 pin adapter is correct as the rack won't work if pins are inverted. For the 5 pin XLRs the pin out should be:

Pin 1 = Common/Shield

Pin 2 = Data-

Pin 3 = Data+

If this is correct, the next possibility is that you are sending the DMX signal with some incorrect timings that the chauvet fixtures "allow" and the Sensor racks do not. The DMX protocol is designed to accommodate quite a wide range of timings which often causes problems with some devices working and some not. The standard would have all the exact details of allowable timings, but the it is expensive and not terribly user friendly. For general information I highly recommend Adam Bennette's book "Recommended Practice for DMX-512" which you can buy here : http://www.lsionline.co.uk/books/?k1o9ln.

~Tom

• There are a couple of possible problems you might be running into.

I would certainly first check that the wiring in your 3-5 pin adapter is correct as the rack won't work if pins are inverted. For the 5 pin XLRs the pin out should be:

Pin 1 = Common/Shield

Pin 2 = Data-

Pin 3 = Data+

If this is correct, the next possibility is that you are sending the DMX signal with some incorrect timings that the chauvet fixtures "allow" and the Sensor racks do not. The DMX protocol is designed to accommodate quite a wide range of timings which often causes problems with some devices working and some not. The standard would have all the exact details of allowable timings, but the it is expensive and not terribly user friendly. For general information I highly recommend Adam Bennette's book "Recommended Practice for DMX-512" which you can buy here : http://www.lsionline.co.uk/books/?k1o9ln.

~Tom

Children
No Data
Related