Error message: "AF card 1/2/3 error"

Last night we had a problem with our dimmer racks and I wondered whether anyone else had encountered this and knew what the error message might mean.  

Some of the lights were stuck on and some were not coming on at all, and the desk did not seem to have control of them. On checking the dimmers, although the blue lights on the racks were not flashing, each of the dimmer racks was displaying the error message “AF card 1/2/3 error”.  I cleared the errors, but this did not solve the problem, so I turned off the dimmer racks and then after a short period turned them back on again.  This seemed to resolve the problem, but I wondered if anyone knew what had caused the error message and whether there's a better solution than just turning everything off and on again!

Thanks

Louise

Parents
  • It sounds like it could be caused by either a loose AF card or a ribbon cable on the signal distribution side of the dimmer.  It's a simple fix/check, but it does require pulling a bunch of dimmer modules out and checking/pressing /re-seating  the AF cards and ribbon cables on the inside right hand side of the rack...you must stick your body inside the rack YOU MUST KILL POWER TO THE RACK...or you could die ZAP SNAP FIzzzzzz

Or it could be that the CEM+ isn't fully seated. This one is easy.  Just gently press the CEM+ into the rack by pressing on the sides of the CEM+ (so that you don't crack the display LCD)

• Hi Louise,

I'm also interested to know what software version you have in your racks. There was a problem we had internally with racks losing communication to their AF cards, which as far as I know never got out into the field, but worth checking for.

Other than that, I'd agree with Bruce : check the seating of the CEM+ and the connection of the AF cards, as mentioned with power OFF.

Sometimes if there is a lot of dust in the connector to the AF cards that can cause problems. You can pull the cards out by pulling the little white tab to release them. Take a small torch and look inside the black connector - if very dusty or dirty that might be it.

All that said, you shouldn't lose control from the AF cards having problems. I would recommend upgrading software if you are running earlier than the most recent (3.1.1)

-Tom

• Hi Louise,

I'm also interested to know what software version you have in your racks. There was a problem we had internally with racks losing communication to their AF cards, which as far as I know never got out into the field, but worth checking for.

Other than that, I'd agree with Bruce : check the seating of the CEM+ and the connection of the AF cards, as mentioned with power OFF.

Sometimes if there is a lot of dust in the connector to the AF cards that can cause problems. You can pull the cards out by pulling the little white tab to release them. Take a small torch and look inside the black connector - if very dusty or dirty that might be it.

All that said, you shouldn't lose control from the AF cards having problems. I would recommend upgrading software if you are running earlier than the most recent (3.1.1)

-Tom

Children
  • Hi Tom and Bruce

Thanks for your replies.  I've tried checking the CEM+ and the AF cards and as far as I can see it's all ok.  We haven't had any problems yet today (fingers crossed). 

Tom, I think we're running the most up-to-date software, as it was only updated a couple of weeks ago.  The version number seems to be 3.1.1.9.0.36.  I'll have a look inside the black connector tomorrow to see whether it's particularly dirty.

Louise

Related