Seemingly rock solid understanding of dimmer doubling shaken by current show

OK here's our setup:

Ion console outputting to a Net2 Node.
Node output 1: Universe 1, Addresses 1-256
Node output 2: Universe 1, Addresses 257-512

-Sensor SP48 rack addressed at 101-196, multiplexing, DMX input from Node output 1 into Input A.
-Sensor SP48 rack addressed at 201-296, multiplexing, DMX input from Node output 1 into Port A, DMX input from Node output 2 into Port B, rack set up to accept first 48 dimmers from Port A second 48 dimmers from Port B.
-Sensor SP48 rack addressed at 301-396, multiplexing, DMX input from Node output 2 into Port A.

Why does this work?
Why does the Ion list the DMX address of dimmer 101B as 20,101 not 357?
How do you send DMX address 20,101 down a DMX512 data line?
Why can I not wrap my brain around this?

I've read all the Dimmer Doubling manuals.  I've read the Ion chapter that deals with patching and dimmer doubling.  I've done dimmer doubling on past shows where I could mulitplex a maximum of 256 dimmers in a universe but I never sent different parts of a universe down separate dmx lines.  Which FM do I need to read?

Thanks!

Will King

Parents
  • Maybe this will help:

Ion uses an offset of 256 for the doubled dimmer when using DMX addressing, and an offset of 20,000 when using sACN, EDMX.  As long as the address the Ion uses for the dimmer agrees with the rack then all is good. For most purposes it does not matter since Ion will route the information out all the ports that have been enabled.

Given dimmer 1 in DMX universe 1 is doubled, the second part of that dimmer can be referenced by address in a number of ways:

• 1B (base + offset)
    • 257 (absolute DMX)
    • 1/1B (explicit universe, base + offset)
    • 1/257 (explicit universe)
    • 20001 (sACN/EDMX)
    • 1/20001 (explicit universe)

Some of the above are better to use than others. My preference is to call it 1B or 1/1B and let the console work out the absolute address, and which port(s) to send

[edited by: sk8rs_dad at 1:33 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 26 2011] Fixed a dumb mistake with addresses so future readers won't get confused
  • Maybe this will help:

Ion uses an offset of 256 for the doubled dimmer when using DMX addressing, and an offset of 20,000 when using sACN, EDMX.  As long as the address the Ion uses for the dimmer agrees with the rack then all is good. For most purposes it does not matter since Ion will route the information out all the ports that have been enabled.

Given dimmer 1 in DMX universe 1 is doubled, the second part of that dimmer can be referenced by address in a number of ways:

• 1B (base + offset)
    • 257 (absolute DMX)
    • 1/1B (explicit universe, base + offset)
    • 1/257 (explicit universe)
    • 20001 (sACN/EDMX)
    • 1/20001 (explicit universe)

Some of the above are better to use than others. My preference is to call it 1B or 1/1B and let the console work out the absolute address, and which port(s) to send

[edited by: sk8rs_dad at 1:33 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 26 2011] Fixed a dumb mistake with addresses so future readers won't get confused
Children
  • Eos/Ion/Element have a setup option of a user configurable dimmer double offset which is applied to the patched addresses.  The default dimmer double offset is 20,000 on the console, which matches the default offset when doubling a port on a Net2 node, a Net3 gateway in Net2 mode, or a networked CEM+.

Assuming a default system, if you dimmer double address 1 on your console, it will output EDMX 1 for address 1A and EDMX 20,001 for address 1B.  An EDMX port on a network node configured to start at EDMX 1 and dimmer doubled will output EDMX 1 as DMX Channel 1 and EDMX 20,001 as DMX Channel 257.

sk8rs_dad is correct that there are several different ways to reference each of these addresses on the console. 

The A side can be referenced as:

• 1 (absolute address)
    • 1A (absolute address with doubling)
    • 1/1 (universe notation)
    • 1/1A (universe notation with doubling)

The B side can be referenced as:

• 20001 (absolute address with dimmer double offset manually added)
    • 40/33 (universe notation with dimmer double offset manually added [20,000 addresses = 39 universes and 32 addresses])
    • 1B (absolute address with doubling)
    • 1/1B (universe notation with doubling)

If you play around in patch on your console, you will notice the addresses for each side are mutually exclusive.  If you patch address 1/1B and then try to patch address 40/33 you will be prompted that the address is already in use.   That's because they're all really the same address and you can only patch an address to a single channel.

Generally speaking:

• On a pure network system you'll want the console default dimmer double offset of 20000 unless someone has done some custom configuration. 
    • On a system using DMX out of the back of the desk to a doubling Sensor rack, you'll want to set your dimmer double offset to 256 so you can get the B sides out of the same DMX port as the A sides. 
    • On a mixed network and hard line DMX system (all going to Sensor racks that are doubling), the best answer for you may vary. 

If in doubt, give a call to your local ETC Tech Service office and we'll be happy to help you find the right solution for your system.

[edited by: Tracy.Fitch at 12:08 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 26 2011]
Related