Extensions to our network

My theater director has asked me to do some research on making extension cords for our lighting system. We are currently building our set for our upcoming musical, West Side Story, in which we are building two 2 story structures that open and close and we need to be able to properly light them. However, in order to light them we need to be able to put lights inside the structures. What we are hoping to do is create extension cords that plug into our regular lighting channels. Currently i believe our theater has a sensor + systom that uses a congo jr. light board. Does anyone know if there is a possibility of creating an extension cord that we could simply plug into the electrics just like we would a light?

[edited by: mellodude2011 at 7:32 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 30 2011]
Parents
  •  

Hello,

When you say "plug into our regular lighting channels" I am guessing you mean that you are plugging your lights into numbered 'circuits'? As an FYI, in the theatre world we call extension cords 'Jumpers' or 'Cable' and they are almost always 3 wire12AWG SO and are usually with 2PNG 'stage connectors' See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_pin_connector

You might also have Twist-locking connectors

You can by stage cable from almost any theatrical dealer, which I would recommend doing if you are not already a proficient theatre electrician.

Look up ETC dealers here:

http://www.etcconnect.com/contact.aspx

You can make your own if you know what you are doing. You need to have 3 wire12AWG SO cable and the correct connectors. You also need to know how to properly install the connectors. Remember, most people need an electrician when doing electrical work on their home (40 to 150W light. In the case of theatre lighting we are dealing with 375W to 2500W of power on any 1 circuit. If you do not use the right cable you will start a fire! I did when I was 16 years old and plugged 1 small theatrical light into some 'zip-cord'...you have been warned

Sincerely,

Mike Meskill

European Service Manager, ETC

Still trying to become a proficient theatre electrician

• You are correct to assume that i am inexperienced and i thank you for the word of caution. I personally would not attempt to wire anything as i have no experience with making wires. We have a former theater student's father who is an electrician who is going help us i believe. If not we will find someone that is experienced. We just needed to know what type of wire to order. We do have the 2P&G i believe is what this is called.

•  You need: #12/3 SOOW (12-Gauge, 3 Conductor, Portable Power, Black SOOW)...you might find it on the spool at Home Depot. Otherwise go to Graybar Electric

Reply Children
No Data
Related