external drive

I have been using a western digital USB drive to back up all my events. Recently I started using a new Western Digital My Passport Ultra USB drive however when it is connected to either an ION or Element before turning on the consoles it causes them to boot up extremely slow. Extremely slow. If I turn on a console without the new drive connected then after it boots up I plug in the new drive it takes an extremely long time to recognize the drive. The same drive works perfectly well on my desktop and laptop computers. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this.

Parents
  • Does it eventually boot? Like its looking for the external as its new boot drive?
  • Glenn,

I'm pretty sure it will eventually boot when the drive is connected prior to start up, but don't remember if that was successful or if I got tired of waiting and when I unplugged it the console booted quickly right after that.
    I do know for sure when I wait to connect it after the console is booted it takes a very, very long time to show up as a drive. This does not happen with my other Passport drive or smaller thumb type drives. It's only the new Ultra that is doing it. AND it seems to do fine with my laptop and my desktop. It's only the ION and Element that are having the issue. Scratching my head on it. :-)
  • Glenn,

I'm pretty sure it will eventually boot when the drive is connected prior to start up, but don't remember if that was successful or if I got tired of waiting and when I unplugged it the console booted quickly right after that.
    I do know for sure when I wait to connect it after the console is booted it takes a very, very long time to show up as a drive. This does not happen with my other Passport drive or smaller thumb type drives. It's only the new Ultra that is doing it. AND it seems to do fine with my laptop and my desktop. It's only the ION and Element that are having the issue. Scratching my head on it. :-)
Children
No Data