programming format

For the first time I have a lighting company asking me what format ETC uses to program their consoles for fixture library additions. They have no manual for the one particular fixture I purchased and after months of requests so I can get them into my consoles this is coming up. I have no idea why they think they need that but they say they do. I have told them all I need is a manual with accurate proper dmx values for each channel and for each mode the fixture can operate in, as well as all the other obvious reasons for a manual, but they keep asking about your format. I even made it absolutely clear it is not them that needs to build the fixture in the proper format, it is ETC and all ETC needs is the dmx values. So maybe I am missing something. They have manuals for their other fixtures. Here is one reply they gave me:

Every console or dmx software uses a different format to make their profiles for example avolites tiger touch uses the d4 format, elations compu live uses ssl format, it's the language used to make their profiles 

So.....????????

Parents
  • That snippet sounds like they have misunderstood your email, and think you've asked them to create the Eos fixture template themselves.
    That's probably a language barrier.

If you have worked out part of the DMX functions already, maybe send them what you know in a spreadsheet or similar and ask them to fill the rest in?

There is a fixture editor available for all ETC consoles, so if they really do want to make it then they're welcome to download it (Eos for you, I guess) and do so.
    Seems like a lot more work than just writing a basic manual though!

• That snippet sounds like they have misunderstood your email, and think you've asked them to create the Eos fixture template themselves.
    That's probably a language barrier.

If you have worked out part of the DMX functions already, maybe send them what you know in a spreadsheet or similar and ask them to fill the rest in?

There is a fixture editor available for all ETC consoles, so if they really do want to make it then they're welcome to download it (Eos for you, I guess) and do so.
    Seems like a lot more work than just writing a basic manual though!

Children
  • Richard and Marcus,
    Thanks for the responses. I know all too well about failure to communicate. :-) Soooo I made sure a few times in different ways to tell them I don't want them to do anything about building the fixture for my console library. All I need is a user manual that has the accurate dmx channel data in it AND I pointed out to them other fixtures they have that include a manual with the correct information AND I sent them a couple of sample manuals of other brands of fixtures which show how the information needs to be listed.
    I told them many times it doesn't matter how ETC sets up a fixture in their library or what type of program they use, I just simply need a manual that has all the DMX info in it like all other brands do. I completely concur that just writing a basic manual is the easiest. They have sent me a couple of their manuals but they have the wrong parameters so when I create the fixture using that info of course it either won't work at all or do things that it is not supposed to do. It's been quite frustrating. I even told them that someone had to program the fixture at some time in order for it to have the data in it to operate, so I asked them who did that and why can't they provide the info.? Completely over their head.
    One of the manuals they sent me says up to 22 fixtures can be power linked but of course when I linked only 16 the first fixture fuse blew. So that's wrong and their answer to that is they are currently doing testing with fixtures to see how many can be linked. Doesn't seem like too much rocket science to take the fixture power info and a short math problem, but then again, they probably don't even know the fixture draw, short of the fuse in it. This is what I get for buying Chinese through a USA distributor. My bad on that one.
    And finally I told them that even if I were able to take the time to figure out all the parameters in every channel, especially all the different color variations on the color channel, I could not send that info to ETC because they need a factory manual to build a fixture in their library, not an end user result. And that makes complete sense since ETC would be subjecting themselves to lots of issues down the road when people use those fixtures and the info is wrong.
    My primary purpose for even bothering you at the forum is to make sure I was correct that the type of format ETC uses, or anyone for that matter, to program fixtures into their consoles has nothing to do with the information needed to do it. What they are asking was something I have never had asked in 30 years.