Laptop Config Ideas?

Hello!

I'm a new field service tech and we're looking into what the best bet for a field service laptop would be and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their ideas for a new production laptop that either has an expresscard slot, or a native serial port. Price is always a concern, but I was wondering what other folks are using in this day and age. 

Thanks in advance!

-Jason

• Hi Jason,

At the bottom is what ETC recommend.

I have both a USB to Serial adapter and a Dell port extender which has serial on and both work But the one thing to watchout for is the OS. When working on older systems the latest versions of Windows can cause issues. I have go round some of these by using a Virtual machine but this causes more issues when using a USB to serial or the port extender which have to be overcome. All possible but takes a little bit of setting up.

I personally have the Dell E7440 which doesn't have a separate graphics card we recommend which means drawings are a little slow to open and work with but its a lot lighter. Still runs all the software fine.

The other laptop which does meet the requirement we use is the Dell E5570.

Tom

Laptop preferences: One of the following operating systems installed

• Windows XP 32-bit Professional • Windows 7 32-bit Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate • Windows 8 32-bit Professional or Enterprise

• Preferred screen resolution of 1600x900 or 1920 x 1080

• 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)

• Ethernet Adapter

• Graphics card with OpenGL Support and 2GB of on-board memory

• Serial port, native preferred, but technicians may use a USB to serial adapter

• DVD Drive (optional)

• Floppy disk drive (internal or external), only required if working with older consoles and older Unison systems

While we have seen success using Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit systems with our newest software, there are incompatibilities when using these systems and older ETC software. Please consult the Windows 7 Compatibility Guide and the Windows 8 Compatibility Guide for further information. It is recommended that you choose an operating system that supports the systems and types of products that your company expects to support.

ETC Field Service Engineers currently use the Dell Latitude E-Series Laptop line with a Dell Port Extender to accommodate serial port needs. Specific laptop specifications are available any time from ETC Field Service.

• Thanks for the reply Tom!

I've floated the idea of using a VM to access some of ETC's legacy tools, and we may be going that route, or may be looking at a dual-boot scenario.

What kind of workarounds did you have to utilize in order to get the serial adapter and the port on the dock to talk to the VM? I imagine pulling it away from the host OS and mapping it straight to the guest OS, but just want to confirm.

--J
  • Hi Jason,

Correct you just need to pass the correct stuff through to the VM for all that to work. It just wasn't as simple as you think it should be. Once its setup it works fine.

Generally you can run any VM upto Windows 7 as long as its a 32bit install. the 64bit install is normally the problem.

There are a couple of bits of software that wont run but they are very old console offline software that you are unlikely to need but if you do just setup another VM with windows XP.

Tom

• FYI: We will be distributing updated computer requirements by the end of next week.
  • Updated Requirements:

NOTE: ETC is not requiring you to buy a new laptop to meet these requirements. If you have a laptop that you are currently using for ASC work, you can continue to use that laptop. The requirements are being update to better reflect what is available for purchase when shopping for a new laptop.

Laptop Computer Requirements:

• Windows 8 or better Full or Enterprise version.  Technician must have administrator access.

*(Macintosh computer with a Windows emulator is not acceptable)

• 2 GHz Intel Core i3 processor or better

• 4 GB RAM

• 8 GB free hard-disk space

• Minimum resolution of 1280x1024 (1920x1080 recommended).

• 64 MB or better non-integrated Graphics card with OpenGL support

• USB port

Below requirements either installed or as external adaptors:

• Ethernet interface (2 recommended)

• SD card reader

• Serial interface

• Additional USB ports recommended

Laptop specifications of ETC factory technicians are available from ETC Field Service.

ETC does not recommend the use of tablet devices.

Older software will not run on Windows 8 or better or any 64 bit operating system.  If you are servicing older ETC systems you will need a laptop running 32 bit Windows 7 or XP.  Please contact ETC Technical Services for specific requirements.

• Mike,

Thanks for publishing the new specs!

Quick question though: What's driving the need for a discrete graphics card?

Thanks in advance!

--J
  • Both Paradigm Configuration software and Net3 Concert rely heavily on Open GL . We have found that the graphics cards built into many computer's motherboards are unable to support the software's graphic requirements.
  • I think i have found all the various bits of information on this subject, but i have never seen a report of exactly which MS Surface hardware was tested and found to be inadequate.

It seems to me even last year's MS Surface *Book* meets all the requirements at the top end of the line, with a discrete Nvidia GPU including 1GB dedicated RAM and Open GL 4.5, i7 processor and 16GB RAM. This years model has only slightly better specs but a bigger battery and another silly Microsoft name "Surface Book with Performance Base" - but they are actually promoting it to AutoCAD, SolidWorks and Adobe users.

Granted, these are $2800 devices, but for those of us who believe that the tablet is the best tool, it would be great if some further testing could be done at the home office . . . in your copious spare time, of course.
  • While researching my question above, i may have stumbled on an even better solution, with a larger but lower resolution screen and much less expensive.

Has anyone used either of these and can confirm that they really do work with Light Designer and Concert?

Samsung laptops np740u5l-y02us and np740u5l-y03us have 360 degree hinges and touchscreens so they work "like" a tablet, although heavier. The advertised product name is "Notebook 7 spin 15.6""

They both have i7 processor, 1TB HDD and Nvidia 940MX GPU, but i can't find a spec for the dedicated RAM on the GPU.

What makes these less expensive is that the screen is only HD 1920 x 1080.

The "y02" has 12GB RAM, while the "y03" has 16GB and *adds* a 128GB SSD to the HDD.

As of 2016/12/12 both models are on "Holiday Savings" and i see them at Best Buy for $800 & $1000, where i will be visiting shortly.
  • Another fun note: For supporting legacy programs (i.e. 32 bit only...) you can download Windows Virtual PC (and then Windows XP Mode) to run 32 bit apps under a 64 bit host OS. Drive letters get a little strange in the VM, but it's a free solution to problem. (Thanks to Eric Veik for pointing out this solution.)

Another option is to use VMWare Player with a windows install in it. I use VMWare player for tinkering in linux from time to time.