floppy disk drive

On my ETC Express 72/144

What happened ? I got the error message : No disk in drive

Its a new drive that i just installed, because i thought the old one was the problem. What should i do ?

Parents Reply Children
  • the entire floppy drive, from an old PC

And the green light is always ON even when it has no disk in it.

• Mike;
    Unfortunately it is not always that easy. The Express does not have the ability to install drivers, instead relying on an encoded chip to access the floppy drive. Unless the drive you installed isa brand and model match to the one you took out, there is a pretty good chance the console will not recognize it. We stock replacement drives, they are available via your local ETC dealer.

What was the problem you were having prior to the swap?
  • Ok thanks, is there something else i can try before that ? Even with the old one ?
  • Possibly. I ask because I do not know you so please do not take any insult in my querry.
    How skilled are you in soldering, and the assembly and disassembly of electronic components?

It is possible that the connections between drive and control board might have just been loose, or the Floppy disk chip may have failed. One of these fixes is pretty simple and the other involved.

Additionally if this is starting to feel like more than you want to tackle yourself, I am happy to help you locate a local service center. They might be able to do the repair or they can send it in to us to fix.