Console Training Philosophy - AKA “Of Course I Showed Them Every Feature of the Console in 8 Hours; The Checklist Told Me To!”

I recently had a great conversation with Spencer Lyons in our Sales Group, which got us thinking about how we do our console trainings.  Spencer had mentioned that he often hears that the console training, in particular for our new consoles, seems to be very sterile and that the endusers felt that they had 8 hours to try and cram as much information in their heads, before the trainer left.  These same customers then come back to us, or the dealer, and remark that the training seemed very comprehensive as they saw a lot in the 8 hours, but they could have used some additional time on the basic functions they will use the most. If we spend 8 hours training customers on their consoles, and they don’t have a good understanding of how to perform the functions that they will use the most, then we missed the mark.  Further, I know why it’s happening and it’s all our fault.

We’ve spent years, and many training sessions, certifying technicians in “our way” of doing things, in everything from low voltage data terminations to enduser training.  We’ve pounded into your heads that the training checklists are the way to go and that you have to use the checklists and check every applicable box in order to call that session done. Well, I think we’ve overdone it.  It’s good practice to periodically review your procedures and your vast lists of “things we’ve always done, because, well, that’s the way we’ve always done it,” and this is one of those times.  I want to make a shift in how we perform console trainings as ETC Service.

Instead of being so held to the checklist, start with a 10 minute conversation with the people you are going to train.  Find out what they are going to use on the console and tailor your training for them.  For example, if you are going to train a local high school’s drama teacher, and her favorite technical student, have a conversation with both of them.  You may find out that they have used an Express for years to control only conventional fixtures and they just won a grant that allowed them to buy the new ION console and a couple of moving lights.  Your training for this group should focus on the basics of how to patch, set cues, record looks into cues and subs so that they will feel just as comfortable using these functions on the ION as they did their beloved Express.  Once they have that down pat, show them the basics of setting up and using their new movers.  Don’t worry about all of the extraneous features that they may not use for years or will forget as soon as you leave.  Use the time wisely to train them on the features they will use most often and allow them to get a successful start on the console.  Additionally, don’t be afraid to adjust your training during the session.  If this same high school has had the console for a few weeks, and has already taught themselves the basics, spend a little bit of time to make sure they really do understand it, and then jump to the advanced features.   If the full day of training is required to make sure they are comfortable with the basics, don’t worry about it.  Once they have a good foundation with the console, they will build on their knowledge and grow into the advanced features of the console on their own.

Please remember, people do not get new consoles very often, and when they do it should be a great experience.  It’s our job to make sure they understand how they work and that they are comfortable with the features they use most often.  I’d love to start a dialogue about this and a lot of our other “we’ve always done it that way” practices. 

[edited by: dboggess at 2:09 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, Aug 21 2008]
Parents
  • wouldn't it be great if you could give the user a great training DVD at the end of your training session so they had something to keep and review whenever they wanted to?

Hint Hint.

• or a power point file to coincide with the training.....

• I work with a community theatre group, and we recently purchased a new Ion system.  We had about a dozen people show up on training day, most of whom hadn't touched a light board in years, if ever.  Our trainer did an excellent job handling questions that were beyond the scope of his assignment, and he actually was able to keep the program moving so the important details were covered.  I video-taped the training, then went back and mined the video for the details that enabled me to do what I need to do.

The manual itself is pretty well written, and everything I've needed so far, I've been able to figure out.  Still a "newbie", but I'm having fun!

• I work with a community theatre group, and we recently purchased a new Ion system.  We had about a dozen people show up on training day, most of whom hadn't touched a light board in years, if ever.  Our trainer did an excellent job handling questions that were beyond the scope of his assignment, and he actually was able to keep the program moving so the important details were covered.  I video-taped the training, then went back and mined the video for the details that enabled me to do what I need to do.

The manual itself is pretty well written, and everything I've needed so far, I've been able to figure out.  Still a "newbie", but I'm having fun!

Children
No Data