Fluke123 discontinued as a required ETC technician tool

In discussion with technicians and monitoring job site activities, we have decided to no longer require ETC Certified Technicians to carry the Fluke 123 ScopeMeter.  We are installing more networking systems, the cost of the unit and its maintenance are rising, space in and weight of toolboxes is getting prohibitive.  Some of you still may wish to purchase and use one and we will support that effort.  In fact, it is advised that having one in the shop may be the best solution.    However, if you run in to a situation where a scope can troubleshoot a problem and yours is not available or not working, we will keep a stock of them here to ship out as needed on a short term loaner basis.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Parents
  • Thanks for the news Kathy.  I've been thinking I need to think my toolkit down and reduce the weight. :)

So what meter will ETC be requiring us to have in the field, or could you clarify the minimum requirements of the meter we should be required to have.

I'll start by assuming it should have the following-

1) TRUE RMS Capability

2) AC Volt and DC Volt reading up to 600V AC

3) Continuity/Ohms check up to 1MegOhm

What other requirements does field service think we should have on the meter?  Just curious.  

I've already been thinking of reducing the size of the every day meter I use on System commissionings, and keeping the 123 in my toolkit that doesn't leave the car unless I need that odd tool that rarely gets used.  Not that the 123 will be rarely used, as it is a good tool on the bench or when you really need to see why the DMX is not working right at the end of a long run.  

[edited by: Holztech at 9:51 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, Sep 18 2008]
  • Hi Dennis,

You are on the right path for a good small meter.  The most important thing is that it has True RMS capability.

•  Thanks for the reply Dan.

For those other ETC Authorized Field Service techs, I've found that the Fluke 114, 115, and 117 models have most of what I need  to use in the field that also exists on the Fluke 123.   The 114 is the least functional/expensive of the bunch while still meeting what I feel is the minimum features we need in the field, with the 115 and 117 having progressively more features (and progressively more expensive.)  I've opted for the 117, due to it having diode and capacitor check, along with a built in Volt Alert Sensor in the unit. 

I'd be curious to read what other field techs out there are using by brand/model number. 

• This change has been long in coming…as was the requirement to carry a torque wrench to every installation…but the change has come and it is very much the right decision as ETC Field Service focus has been changed from the termination of DMX, Link, RFU and moving to full network systems. It is also the case that even a Factory Field Technician is no longer expected to perform bench-level repairs in the field unless you are David Tramontina or Steve Short. But ultimately I would like to think that the lack of need for a scope on ETC installations has to do with the continuing improvement of wiring techniques and quality of product.

I have had a FLUKE 87 True RMS since my sophomore year in college. In fact I now have 2 as I was ‘issued’ one by ETC in 1996. Given that I still have both of these units after so many years and many..many..many field service trips is a huge vote of confidence in the overall quality of the unit. (Even though I now in Germany with my US issued 87 and rarely get a chance to use it).

"You can have my FLUKE 87 when you pry it from my cold dead hands!"...now someone tell me the difference between the diode testing setting and the ohm setting?

Still a Field Tech at heart…

Mike

[edited by: mmeskill at 10:47 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Oct 10 2008]
  • I hope you are kidding when you say you want someone to tell you the difference between diode testing and resistance testing.  Do you seriously need to know this or are you checking to see if others know this?

David

• I still carry the Torque wrench, but it's more of a motivational tool now, rather than it's intended purpose.  :)

• Good to know that motivation is measured in Newton-Meters... :-)
  • I would think that would be Foot - pounds ....or feet- per -pounding.

I still always carry my tech-scope. THS720.  I still use it both as my bench and field scope.  The silly battery pack for it lists for $90, but three NiCads and some foil tape and you are good to go for about $10.  At the time I got it, it was the hip /cool/ wow 100Mhz scope/meter/logger.  It is wider than the fluke, but skinnier…but the case is much bigger – laptop size.

Anyway, what are the current thoughts for CAT5 or CAT6 certifiers?  At this point I have a go/no-go tester (LANpro) and a POE tester.  I am assuming that they will become mandatory in the future.

• As far as CAT5 and CAT6 testers, for years we've required ETC Tech's to carry a tester like the MapCat.  This will allow you to at least find where a run begins and ends by using the remote dongles, it will also identify open pairs.  For those of you who have used one, that last sentence makes sense.  A lot of the Field Service staff have moved up to something like an Ideal Linkmaster Pro.  This tool allows you to see everything the Mapcat did, but it will also give you run lengths, which can be a very important piece of information.  I think we are a ways away from requiring that tool as it is somewhat expensive, but if you have some money burning a whole in your pocket you can pick one up for under $400. 

[edited by: dboggess at 2:54 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Oct 15 2008]
  • Ok, now that I looked in my kit, I see I have the Test-Um LanRoverPro (TP600?).  I believe TestUm has been bought, and now it is called the LanRomerPro.  It is in the $160 range, and includes one remote, expandible to 8.  It tests wiring & length. Very easy to use.

I see that the Test-Um Validator NT-950 is in the $1300 range.  Are we going to require such a tool?  Or do you believe that the certification of networks will remain a rarely requested task?

• I doubt that it will be a requirement any time soon.  One of the reasons is that 99% of the time it is the responsibility of the installing EC to "certify" the network.  Usually when we send out the DSP 4000 for use in verifying a network it is because we either want to perform the test and see the results with our own eyes or the EC is already off the job and it is up to us to prove that there are problems in the network infrastructure that are affecting the performance of our gear.
  • For quick checking of network cable runs, at ETC London we have a nice little "Fluke MicroScanner 2" cable verifier.

This one includes cable length measurements as well as all the 'disconnected pair' and 'find this cable' tests.

We've actually found it quite useful for testing DMX cable as well, with the relevant jumpers!

RS have it for £303 in the UK, and a quick Google popped it up for USD$ 400 at a few places.

• For quick checking of network cable runs, at ETC London we have a nice little "Fluke MicroScanner 2" cable verifier.

This one includes cable length measurements as well as all the 'disconnected pair' and 'find this cable' tests.

We've actually found it quite useful for testing DMX cable as well, with the relevant jumpers!

RS have it for £303 in the UK, and a quick Google popped it up for USD$ 400 at a few places.

Children
No Data