DMX on CAT5....to shield or not to shield?

So, DMX down a run of CAT5, not in pipe (at least not in metal pipe).  Must it be shielded CAT5 or plain 'ol unshielded CAT5 will do just fine?

Any comments?

Parents
  • Unless something major has changed since I moved to Germany 4 years ago….When using CAT5 for DMX the cable must be in metal conduit from point to point.

I too have seen installations where it was not and times where there was conduit at the back-box but it dispersed once it reached above the drop ceiling. In some cases there have been no issues with this. In some cases issue did not arise for over a year or two. In some cases there were DMX problem right at the time of turn-on.

Sincerely,

Mike  

• This remains true. CAT5 is to be in pipe when used for any form of RS485 or RS422, when unshielded. Im trying to dig up the article I have on it., but can't seem to find it at the moment. If I find it, I'll try to post it.

Your results may vary, but its a really hard thing to track down when a problem occurs without replacing the wire plant. Its interesting to see a scope shot of a CAT5 line with DMX that is drapped over a Fluresent light fixture.

Shielded CAT5 is an interesting alternative, but really not very popular in the U.S. It also requires different RJ45 female jacks. Works great, but more expensive. (However I believe its still significantly cheaper than 9729 or running Pipe, however still just as physically fragile).

• This remains true. CAT5 is to be in pipe when used for any form of RS485 or RS422, when unshielded. Im trying to dig up the article I have on it., but can't seem to find it at the moment. If I find it, I'll try to post it.

Your results may vary, but its a really hard thing to track down when a problem occurs without replacing the wire plant. Its interesting to see a scope shot of a CAT5 line with DMX that is drapped over a Fluresent light fixture.

Shielded CAT5 is an interesting alternative, but really not very popular in the U.S. It also requires different RJ45 female jacks. Works great, but more expensive. (However I believe its still significantly cheaper than 9729 or running Pipe, however still just as physically fragile).

Children