Windows 7

Hi all,

I also serve as the IT department here at Cross Light and would like to pose a question.  Has anyone with ETC software obtained a Windows 7 beta?  and if so, how is it working out?  I have no current plans to upgrade our offices, but I'd also like to be able to plan for it when it does come.

Parents
  • I was just on site yesterday doing some service for an existing two year old install.  They had CEM+ code 2.1-ish...in their racks.  I was able (after installing the UA string emulator into IE8) to browse into the racks and pull off the config without any issues. 

In a couple weeks, I'll be attempting to use TeraTerm with a USB --> Serial cable to configure a switch.  I'll also be editing a Paradigm config for this same job.  I'll post back if I encounter any W7 weirdness...

-Abby

• Another update re Windows 7...

I just turned on a system a couple days ago...working full in a Windows 7 environment (without reverting to Virtual XP).  I used the following programs, all successfully...

1) LD and CD 1.1.2

2) DimStat 3.3

3) GCE 1.2*

4) Sensor+ Connect via Internet Explorer 8 with the UA String patch to emulate IE6

5) Tera Term 4.64 with Radio Shack's Gigaware USB to Serial adapter

* When I first tried to install GCE on my machine a week or so ago, I had some issues and it failed to install repeatedly.  My User profile and My Documents folder paths are configured with my Server Path (even though I have the ability to use them offline / roaming), instead of just my local C:\.  I've had this issue with a couple other software installs, too. (They all seem to result in MS error 1606, if you care...) My work-solution was to just wait until I was in the office and connected to the server to install.  This happened to me the other day when I was nowhere near my server to plug in and solve the issue, so I installed that particular piece of software in Virtual XP and it worked for me until I could install it on the Windows 7 side.

Hope this helps someone...

-Abby

• Another update re Windows 7...

I just turned on a system a couple days ago...working full in a Windows 7 environment (without reverting to Virtual XP).  I used the following programs, all successfully...

1) LD and CD 1.1.2

2) DimStat 3.3

3) GCE 1.2*

4) Sensor+ Connect via Internet Explorer 8 with the UA String patch to emulate IE6

5) Tera Term 4.64 with Radio Shack's Gigaware USB to Serial adapter

* When I first tried to install GCE on my machine a week or so ago, I had some issues and it failed to install repeatedly.  My User profile and My Documents folder paths are configured with my Server Path (even though I have the ability to use them offline / roaming), instead of just my local C:\.  I've had this issue with a couple other software installs, too. (They all seem to result in MS error 1606, if you care...) My work-solution was to just wait until I was in the office and connected to the server to install.  This happened to me the other day when I was nowhere near my server to plug in and solve the issue, so I installed that particular piece of software in Virtual XP and it worked for me until I could install it on the Windows 7 side.

Hope this helps someone...

-Abby

Children
  • Just out of curiosity, what make/model of machine did you get, and with what processor installed?

I'm in the midst of acquiring my next laptop, and for the moment have requested it ship with a Win7 pro license and an XP Pro downgrade, but I may end up bumping right back up to Win7 if your experiences keep panning out.

Thanks.

• My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7 3065dx. Overall, I am extremely happy with it.  Takes about half the time that my old machine did to boot up, which is nice.  I will get more used to it as I go, but I'm finding lots of instances where I have to grant permission on a case by case basis for updates, downloads, etc...which I'm not used to...but part of that may be my unfamiliarity with Windows 7 and as I learn more about it, I may end up changing enough of those default settings to avoid more of those instances. 

It REALLY doesn't like me having the firewall turned off, when I need to do so, but it operates fine (just an annoying warning message or two).

Came with Windows 7 Home Premium but upgraded to Windows 7 Pro for the Virtual XP features.  As Derek said several posts ago, not all Windows 7 machines are built alike...there are only certain chipsets that allow for Virtual XP. 

My particular machine's specifics are as follows:

2.4GHz AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600

RAM- 4GB (I'll eventually upgrade this to 6, I think)

64 bit OS

One thing it DOESN'T have, is Bluetooth, and I'm pretty bummed about it, but I was in a frantic rush to replace my old machine, and was very limited with the Virtual XP / Processor options.  It only has 3 native USB ports (my old machine had 4) so I'm finding that slightly challenging (one port for wireless mouse, one port for my bluetooth dongle- if I leave it plugged in, leaves only one port for thumbdrive or other random gadgets).

Good luck with your new machine...

-Abby