Windows 7

Hi all,

I also serve as the IT department here at Cross Light and would like to pose a question.  Has anyone with ETC software obtained a Windows 7 beta?  and if so, how is it working out?  I have no current plans to upgrade our offices, but I'd also like to be able to plan for it when it does come.

Parents Reply Children
  • As I mentioned in a previous post here at ETC we are looking at Windows 7 carefully, and are in the beginning stages of testing all our legacy software with it.

Once testing is complete we will be giving you a full picture of what we find, including workarounds and so forth. However, here is what we have discovered so far.

Avoid Win 7 64 bit if you need to work with legacy systems, especially Unison

Unison Lightmanager is a Windows 16 bit application; support for 16 bit applications is not present in 64 bit versions of Windows. Lightmanager will not run at all. SLTA applications, including EELoad, also do not seem to work.

Most newer software seems to work with 64 bit systems, although there are a few specific things you need to do to get network services working with it.

Be cautious with USB-Serial adapters

It's true that many USB-Serial adapters will work with ETC equipment OK; however we have seen exceptions, especially with EELoadNT and SLTA kits. Since there are so many varieties of these, you mileage may vary - we can't test them all. Main thing is before you are relying on it to go to site and configure a system, make sure you know it will work!

We'll keep you all posted on results of our testing. If there's anything specific you want to know before you buy a new laptop, feel free to give us a call at the usual tech support numbers.

Tom

[edited by: tomsteer at 2:12 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Dec 21 2009]