Windows 7

Hi all,

I also serve as the IT department here at Cross Light and would like to pose a question.  Has anyone with ETC software obtained a Windows 7 beta?  and if so, how is it working out?  I have no current plans to upgrade our offices, but I'd also like to be able to plan for it when it does come.

Parents
  • So, maybe a real long shot...I don't know,

But is there a chance that Windows 7 will allow access to old fashion serial ports...such as old style Unison serial ports? 

Just a thought...

• I believe the Dell Latitude E5500 has a native serial port built in.  I'll let you know once I have it configured if it plays friendly with legacy unison Serial ports.  I am assuming that the old Win98 serial ports still won't work, but I will try the XP version when I get a chance. 

I never had much luck with USB to serial adapters, and I always looked for a built in serial port due to the fact that another manufacturer's software only supported PCMCIA to serial adapters, and not USB versions. 

I'll post any unusual results when I get them.

• I have had success using my laptop (an HP HDX18) running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and running most current verisons of recent ETC software. Windows 7 Ultimate (maybe some other versions do too) has an 'XP Mode' that you can download from MS, a virtual version of XP that it can run. Using XP Mode  has allowed me to use Light Manager. It's a bit kludgy, since XP Mode doesn't like recognizing my old Iomega USB floppy drive as a locally attached drive - so I can't directly save to it directly from LM, but it's a simple enough task to drag .cfg files around and copy files from the XP Mode virtual hard drive to the mapped floppy from the real world. Just remember to copy the LCD font files and such at the same time or your LCD will look broken.

** I have not had success using LM in this virtual XP mode to connect to a CMEi on the network, though I have not spent very long trying.

• I have had success using my laptop (an HP HDX18) running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and running most current verisons of recent ETC software. Windows 7 Ultimate (maybe some other versions do too) has an 'XP Mode' that you can download from MS, a virtual version of XP that it can run. Using XP Mode  has allowed me to use Light Manager. It's a bit kludgy, since XP Mode doesn't like recognizing my old Iomega USB floppy drive as a locally attached drive - so I can't directly save to it directly from LM, but it's a simple enough task to drag .cfg files around and copy files from the XP Mode virtual hard drive to the mapped floppy from the real world. Just remember to copy the LCD font files and such at the same time or your LCD will look broken.

** I have not had success using LM in this virtual XP mode to connect to a CMEi on the network, though I have not spent very long trying.

Children
No Data