Unison USAP long distance

I have a unison legacy system that wants to add integration to an A/V system.  The A/V system is to be located about 100-150' away, as the cable flies.

There is also currently  11 walls and 4-5 zones per section.  What this means, is that an A/V station will need to change pages in order to have feedback for all zones, and control of all walls and presets.  Therefore,  I'm assuming that USAP is the way to go.

So, does anyone have experience with serial extenders, repeaters, etc (something B&B may have?)  For $100 or so, I can convert to current loop or 485 and back again.  I think that will be cheaper than an A/V interface..and much easier to program. (no dummy zones and templates, etc)  Has anyone tried this? 

Kind of related, but how does RS232 over a cat5 or cat6 wire compare to the traditional spec cable and its15m limit?  Has anyone looked at this in any detail?

Thanks

Parents Reply Children
  • So I'm thinking the IP->RS232 could be the easiest way to go. 

I actually have very little experience with the actual programming of a Crestron  (or what ever system actually will get installed in this system).  I have always just told the A/V guy what I need to see...and what they get back from the lighting system...and they have just done it....and it worked and all was good in the world.

So all you Crestron programmers out there:

How common would it be to have a system that can access an IP COM port?  I would think there would be special drivers needed.  I guess I could always use a RS232->IP->RS232 tunnel....but if I'm using two interfaces (one in one out) then I think an RS232->RS485->RS232 would be lower cost.

Any thoughts on this?

I am leaning away from an A/V interface because the system has too many Zones and Walls that need to stay in sync with the A/V system.  How easy is it for a Crestron system to deal with pages on an A/V station (so that the LED zones and Walls are spread over multiple pages, and the first few LEDs signify the current page)

Thanks

• I've done some Crestron programming with the Crestron processor talking serial directly to the CME. It worked pretty well, but one thing you might want to verify is which revision of firmware is running in the CME, as ETC made some major improvements along the way. My recollection is that a major change to the protocol happened around the middle of 2005 - originally the serial protocol was strictly polling based, but the most recent protocol has some push functionality which made the Crestron interface much more responsive.

For your question about IP com ports, the easiest way (and since it's Crestron's solution - fairly pricey compared with a generic IP serial port) is to put in a QM-RMC in slave mode. It can sit on the Ethernet and gives 2 COM ports at the remote location. Cost is around $350 or so.

AndrewY