What's in your tool box? 802.11 Access point /switch choices.

So as I re-solder the antenna's back on my cheap Netgear access point...again I ask...Is there a better choice?

What do people use for a tool box access point?

I would love a small 3 port switch with 802.11B/G.  Even better if it had some smarts such as port mirroring.  It doesn t need any firewall.  Size is key here.

When I ask at the local computer stores about the smallest access points, I get  "gee...no one has asked about the size before"  The current Netgear box I'm using is almost 1/2 the size of my laptop...and it has a giant external PSU to boot.  Between the actual computer...and the access point...and the external 3-1/2 drive...and the various cables, my laptop bag is awful stuffed.

So I ask...What's in your toolbox?

Parents
  • Bruce,

How about a D-Link WBR-1310: (WxDxH): 4.5” x 5.9” x 1.4” ?  It is in their current lineup (at least on the website).

I have a small D-Link router (don't remember the model number but I'm sure it's now discontinued) which is roughly the same size and it easily fits in my laptop case.  Mine also has a removable antenna- don't know about the WBR-1310.

-Todd

• Bruce,

How about a D-Link WBR-1310: (WxDxH): 4.5” x 5.9” x 1.4” ?  It is in their current lineup (at least on the website).

I have a small D-Link router (don't remember the model number but I'm sure it's now discontinued) which is roughly the same size and it easily fits in my laptop case.  Mine also has a removable antenna- don't know about the WBR-1310.

-Todd

Children