New Computer

Boss: We can manage a new laptop! What kind do you want?

Me: Well it had better run all the ETC system programs. I'll ask for the current recommendation.

I need a true desktop replacement due to CAD, so the small and light stuff isn't important, but power and function are critical. My calls are both new installs and legacy service, in short I need everything. And yes cost is a factor...

So what is the current thinking?

(Perhaps this discussion should be a whole sub group. It is a never ending issue.)

Parents
  • Which CAD program ?.  That choice dictates a Windows or Mac, as WYSIWYG and AutoCad are Windows only, where as Vectorworks is either.  If ALL of the legacy ETC programs are required - Expression Off-Line, Net2 Config Editor, Unison Light Manager, etc,.  that that too dictates a Windows machine and at that point you might do better getting a souped up business machine with a 15" screen, as opposed to paying for the 17 with lesser components.

That said, my first work laptop a few years back was an HP with Win XP Pro and a 17" screen.  I reasoned that the wider screen would be better for doing CAD (Vectorworks).  A few years of use, as well as all those years of lugging around a beast, as well as the reduced battery life due to the larger screen and I ended up with a 15" HP business notebook as the replacement.  I do not miss the larger screen on the laptop and for the price difference between a 15 and a 17 you can purchase a 21" LCD monitor, maybe 2. Did I say that I have no issues using VW on a 15" screen ?, and that I do not miss the bulk and weight of the 17" ?.

Steve B.

• Vectorworks 2010 - They like the NVIDIA Quadro FX cards but not the NVS versions. All their standards have changed with since 2009.

Yes all the legacy programs are required - I have local clients with Expression, Net 1 and Net 2, serial ports and of course lots of Unison. Then there are the ones I haven't heard from yet. When the phone rings I have to be ready.

I am debating the 17" $creen. While I use external monitors (old 17") in the office, I don't stay in the office. I agree VW on a 15" is OK but far from nice. Oddly what I miss on a larger system is the num pad. And one more dangly carry along is just about as irritating as a big machine. I have to admit being tempted by an iPAD-if it had a phone, and a clunky laptop. Lots of ways to spend money!

My current machine is a Dell E6500, 15" 4GB ram, 2.5GHz. but it can be very slow when working with large (20-50MB) files. So we are going to pass it down to a production guy who does less CAD and doesn't have a laptop.

• For several Legacy applications you will need Windows XP, for example on a virtual machine.

A real serial port isn't strictly necessary, but you will need to do some testing with the various USB > Serial adapters to find one that works correctly with 3-pin serial as on pretty much all our products.

• For several Legacy applications you will need Windows XP, for example on a virtual machine.

A real serial port isn't strictly necessary, but you will need to do some testing with the various USB > Serial adapters to find one that works correctly with 3-pin serial as on pretty much all our products.

Children
No Data