Obsession 2

Hello,

Is the software for the Obsession 2 Console upgradeable?

Which, has the most to least channels out of the three?

ETC Obsession 2

Leprecon LP-3000

Strand 520

Thanks, so much.

Roxy

Parents
  • Well, in the same way all consoles are programmed differently, they also count channels/fixtures differently.

the LP-3000 has  up to 144 channels and about 18 fixtures (of an indeterminate number of channels) across two or four universes (up to 2048 dimmers)

The Strand 520 has 200 channels and 200 Attribute Channels (as many fixtures as you like, but each attribute takes an A.C.) - It supported 3 universes of DMX (1536 dimmers) with the option of turning the 4th DMX jack (usually an input) into another with an adapter, for controlling up to 2048 dimmers. It may have supported more over StrandNet, I couldn't find any docs to support that hypothesis though. The 520i, BTW, could handle 350 conventional and 250 attribute channels.

From the ETC wiki: Obsession II was available with channel counts of 750, 1536, 3072 or 4608 channels. The number of dimmers (outputs) supported was 9,216 using outputs from ETCNet2 nodes, with three physical DMX ouputs on the back of the processor rack.

So if the highest-level LP3000 had 18 fixtures requiring 35 channels [and here I'm assuming that's within its capacities], and a full allotment of conventionals, it could, in theory, surpass the lowest O2 in channel count, but would fall short in other areas.

Were I to list them in an order from strongest to weakest overall, strictly in terms of capacity and performance, I'd list them as Obsession II, Strand 520, and LP-3000, but as I said in my other post, other users could argue which is better; this is merely my own opinion. If you take the best of each console line (The LP-3000 72/144, the Strand 550i, and the fully-loaded Obsession II) though, the differences are far more apparent, and the order above still stands.

As for upgradability, all of these consoles are discontinued, and no new software is being written for them by their manufacturers. So upgrades would be a longshot, dependant on what the manufacturers have available in their warehouses, if anything.

Jonathan

• Well, in the same way all consoles are programmed differently, they also count channels/fixtures differently.

the LP-3000 has  up to 144 channels and about 18 fixtures (of an indeterminate number of channels) across two or four universes (up to 2048 dimmers)

The Strand 520 has 200 channels and 200 Attribute Channels (as many fixtures as you like, but each attribute takes an A.C.) - It supported 3 universes of DMX (1536 dimmers) with the option of turning the 4th DMX jack (usually an input) into another with an adapter, for controlling up to 2048 dimmers. It may have supported more over StrandNet, I couldn't find any docs to support that hypothesis though. The 520i, BTW, could handle 350 conventional and 250 attribute channels.

From the ETC wiki: Obsession II was available with channel counts of 750, 1536, 3072 or 4608 channels. The number of dimmers (outputs) supported was 9,216 using outputs from ETCNet2 nodes, with three physical DMX ouputs on the back of the processor rack.

So if the highest-level LP3000 had 18 fixtures requiring 35 channels [and here I'm assuming that's within its capacities], and a full allotment of conventionals, it could, in theory, surpass the lowest O2 in channel count, but would fall short in other areas.

Were I to list them in an order from strongest to weakest overall, strictly in terms of capacity and performance, I'd list them as Obsession II, Strand 520, and LP-3000, but as I said in my other post, other users could argue which is better; this is merely my own opinion. If you take the best of each console line (The LP-3000 72/144, the Strand 550i, and the fully-loaded Obsession II) though, the differences are far more apparent, and the order above still stands.

As for upgradability, all of these consoles are discontinued, and no new software is being written for them by their manufacturers. So upgrades would be a longshot, dependant on what the manufacturers have available in their warehouses, if anything.

Jonathan

Children