Obsession 2

Hello,

Is the software for the Obsession 2 Console upgradeable?

Which, has the most to least channels out of the three?

ETC Obsession 2

Leprecon LP-3000

Strand 520

Thanks, so much.

Roxy

Parents
  • Just want to throw in my cautionary two cents here:

Obsession 2s can certainly be upgraded, but a lot depends on the other hardware you will use with them, and the current software version they are using.  If you intend to use older Net1 RVIs, upgrading beyond a particular version will render the system incompatible with them.  If you have to use an RFU that connects to the processor, upgrading to v5 will kill the RFU port (You'll need to use a port on a compatible Net2 Node).  In all these cases if you upgrade and find that something doesn't work, its very important to know that you cannot downgrade.  Also, the software installation procedure is different for the different versions of software.  Depending on what version of software your O2 comes with, you may have to update the processor only, or install the update separately on the facepanel and the processor. 

In short:  Yes, and O2 is upgradable to current release, however, please do so with the assistance of your local dealer or ETC tech services.  It keeps things happy.

• Derek brings up a very good point about knowing when you would like to upgrade versus stay at the currently running software version. There have been changes over the years as features were introduced and as the architecture of the product evolved.

I would like to point out that before any update, it is always a good idea to backup the show files stored on the hard drive. (This is true of all consoles.) While it is possible to revert back to previous software, show files opened in newer versions of software will not work in older versions of software. This is understandable as the features introduced in the later versions of software were not there in the previous code, so the console doesn't know what to do with that information.

• As a note to all:

The OP was written as a request for information about these 3 console - LP3000, Strand 520 and the OB II.  The OP also posted a similar question on Control Booth.  The request for info. on CB was actually wanting info. about whether the consoles listed were upgradable, how hard they were to program and other similar questions, to gather info for a business class.

Unless I'm mistaken, He/She is not actually looking upgrade the OB II to new software.

Steve B.

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 3:05 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Dec 13 2010]
  • As a note to all:

The OP was written as a request for information about these 3 console - LP3000, Strand 520 and the OB II.  The OP also posted a similar question on Control Booth.  The request for info. on CB was actually wanting info. about whether the consoles listed were upgradable, how hard they were to program and other similar questions, to gather info for a business class.

Unless I'm mistaken, He/She is not actually looking upgrade the OB II to new software.

Steve B.

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 3:05 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Dec 13 2010]
Children