RS-232 Merger/Repeater Recommendations?

Has anyone used a RS-232 signal merger/repeater to take 2 separate RS-232 serial control devices and allow them to control a third device?  I have a system that currently has the RS-232 port on the architectural system assigned to control an interface to another system that controls the window shades.  I suspect that this will be a bidirectional signal sending commands from the ETC system to the window shades, and having the window shade system sending status updates to the ETC system as well.

Now the consultant has requested that we interface with the AV System as well on RS-232 serial, and the ETC architectural system only has one RS-232 port. 

Any favorite devices out there to allow this communication to happen?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Merging RS232 basically can't be done reliably, as the merger would have to store-and-forward the commands from each device if they ever sent any data at the same time, and unfortunately there is no defined way for the merger to know when the command from Source A is finished so can send the stored commands coming from Source B.
    - If they ever get interleaved, neither command will execute!

I recommend using an AV/Serial Interface station for the additional device. These are available for both Classic Unison and Unison Paradigm.

The AV/Serial Interface station provides a set of 'virtual' faders, buttons and indicators that are controlled via defined RS232 commands, and you can assign the relevant Actions directly to these 'virtual' buttons/faders/indicators.

[edited by: Richard at 2:21 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Oct 26 2011]
  • There are serial port combiners out there that will allow the first device that "speaks" to take control of the data stream (although I have not personally tested any of these devices some of our technicians have had success in the past). The only problem that I would foresee occurring is that if two devices were sending data at the same exact time one device would not get processed- probably unlikely with the setup you describe.

As Richard mentioned it is a more solid solution to add a UH1AV station to the job. If you do this I would suggest having the AV system utilize the RS232 PSAP port and the shade controller would then utilize the UH1AV station. 

Is it possible to throw the shade control into the AV systems scope and just have a single RS-232 interface from Paradigm to the AV system?

Take care!

• There are serial port combiners out there that will allow the first device that "speaks" to take control of the data stream (although I have not personally tested any of these devices some of our technicians have had success in the past). The only problem that I would foresee occurring is that if two devices were sending data at the same exact time one device would not get processed- probably unlikely with the setup you describe.

As Richard mentioned it is a more solid solution to add a UH1AV station to the job. If you do this I would suggest having the AV system utilize the RS232 PSAP port and the shade controller would then utilize the UH1AV station. 

Is it possible to throw the shade control into the AV systems scope and just have a single RS-232 interface from Paradigm to the AV system?

Take care!

Children