iRFR Routers

Does ETC recommend a particular router to work with the iRFR?

• We do not have a recommendation on any particular brand of router as virtually any consumer or commercial grade router should work.

Personally, the only router that I have had great difficulty getting to work is the Apple AirPort Express series because the interface seems to hide the functions to modify any deeper settings.

As a default, if you treat most routers' documentation replacing the word "Internet" with "Lighting Network", you will likely find that it is relatively simple to setup. The only other common stumbling block seems to be to remember to turn on the Address Service (DHCP) in both the console and the router so that the console gives an address to the router's "Internet" or WAN port, and the router gives addresses to the wireless devices that connect to it.

Happy Shopping!

• I'd respectfully disagree on the difficulty with the airport express series. I have found it to be more capable to configure due to its ability to allow for further customization that I was not otherwise able to change in other consumer routers. Fully customizable subnets is where the express excelled in my usage, AND allowed extending with multiple units in larger touring houses. They seemed like the middle ground between consumer and commercial grade routers in terms of configuration for me, while keeping a simple UI and saving/loading of wireless profiles that have been previously set-up.

Just my opinion obviously, everyones' experience varies :-)

-JD