Capturing button press

I'm working on a show where I'd like to capture which of ten buttons is pressed and store it as a variable to be used as a timeline selection that would be played with an astro trigger. The concept is that there is a default timeline that would run everyday but if so desired, an alternative can be selected prior to the astro event and there run instead of the default. I can't find information about passing a button number through to a variable or function. Is this possible?

Chuck

Parents
  • I have done this in the past by having my buttons populate timeline numbers to a table or update a global variable instead of the start timeline action. I then use an Astro trigger to call that data and/or a “fire now” button to test it. If your default timeline is timeline number 1(for an easy example) you could have another trigger that resets the variable to 1 each day. 
    you can also use this data to update captions on your screen to provide some feedback. If variable is 1 “default is scheduled” if variable is 2 “timeline 2 is scheduled”. 

I am half asleep right now and I am only semi coherently typing on my phone instead of a computer, otherwise...  I would provide a better example and some LUA snips for reference. I think the script I was using is slightly deprecated with the newest api anyways. 

• Right, capturing to a global variable is the path I'm on. Thanks for the input!

• I was just reading through emails and this came back up. Sorry for the "fragmented" answer. 

Tom's Scripting example is essentially what I was attempting to explain. The flexibility you get from LUA(and/orJavaScript for that matter) is addicting. I find myself using a script in some of the most basic projects  even if its just to automatically populate touch screens with pages and buttons with names/timeline numbers.

you do end up with the "just because it can doesn't mean it should" internal conflict from time to time haha

• I was just reading through emails and this came back up. Sorry for the "fragmented" answer. 

Tom's Scripting example is essentially what I was attempting to explain. The flexibility you get from LUA(and/orJavaScript for that matter) is addicting. I find myself using a script in some of the most basic projects  even if its just to automatically populate touch screens with pages and buttons with names/timeline numbers.

you do end up with the "just because it can doesn't mean it should" internal conflict from time to time haha

Children
Related