Two light boards (learning and show) NOT running at same time?

I teach Drama, and recently acquired a new ETC ColorSource 40 light board as we begin to transition over to LED (a few new lanterns a year). 

I don't want to waste my old board, especially because I teach 8th Grade to 12th Grade, and I see the old board as a valuable learning tool.

My question is: Is there any "splitter" that would allow me to ALTERNATE  which board I use to control the lights?
When an 8th or 9th Grade class is doing tech, I want them to use the old board, while experienced students in older classes would use the new board but I don't want to have to manually be moving the DMX cable back and forth between the two systems every time class changes. I would NEVER have both system powered and running simultaneously. I just want to be able to power down one, and power up the other, and vice versa.

Can this be done?

Parents
  • Yes, this should probably be okay.  Before lighting systems went Network, many systems were designed with 2 or more DMX Input plates, such as one in the lighting booth and one down in the audience area (often used for technical rehearsals).  The console would be plugged into one or the other port and would work, but if two consoles were plugged in at the same time and turned on, there could be problems.

That's a long way of saying, someone could make or get a DMX Input plate with two Inputs that are wired together inside the backbox.  I would definitely recommend speaking with an ETC Dealer about how that can be done successfully.

As suggests, an active DMX Merger would be the safest, most bullet-proof option for you.  

• I contacted a local sound company with this idea of a box with a switch, and he says it should be no problem to put together. Thanks.

Reply Children
No Data
Related