personality Editor

I have a few questions I am confused about, because the quick guide is really quick.

1. In MODE at the top right - I do not understand the question

2. To the right of MODE (Color mixing)  If I have a Chinese instrument with a color wheel with multiple colors (15) how can I set that up?

3. If i'm trying to create Personalities for Unbranded Chinese lights Does it mater what I name CUSTOM At the Left top?

4. If i'm trying to create Personalities for Unbranded Chinese lights Does it mater what I name MODEL NAME At the Left top?

5. If the instruments have special effects that are intensity selected how can I create a DMX Channel that does that.  In-Other-Words if 0-10 is none and 11-19 if green to blue back and forth and 21-30 if red to white back and forth and 31-40 is flash blue etc.  

6. Can I have a general explanation of Range

Thanks for the anticipated assistance,

Ron

• Happy to help.  I'm assuming this is for Personality Editor v1.1.1, by the way.

1. Mode: a fixture might have several modes, like "RGB" and "RGBA", or 6-channel (6ch) and 12-channel (12ch).  When you are selecting it on the console, it's this part: 
    2. Color Mixing: this is for fixtures that have more than one emitter / LED type, where you can change a couple of parameters to make different color mixes.
      If you're familiar with old strip lights that you might place Red, Green, and Blue gels in front of to mix different colors - that's what this is for.

It sounds like your fixture might just have one lamp that it puts gels/color chips in front of to produce colors.  Or, it might be a color-mixing fixture with different LEDs in it, but it only lets you select certain colors, I guess.

So for you, I would leave this as "None".  Then I would add a Parameter

and Name it "Color Mix" or something like that.
      Use the Pencil at the right to add Ranges, and the Add button to add 15 "colors":

Click on the Gel/Gobo area to specify each color:

3. Manufacturer Name: this is just a way for you to know who produced the lights when you go back later.  It can stay "Custom" or you could make it "Ron's Lights".
    4. Model Name: just a name to distinguish this one from other lights of the same "Manufacturer" so again, it needs something, a name you will remember / look for later.
    5. "special effects that are intensity selected" - Those are going to be Ranges again, like the Color Mix parameter.  Usually those "Special FX" are on a different Parameter than intensity, but they might be on the same one.
    6. Ranges: Goes along with your Special FX question.  Here's an example in use:
       (this is a High End Systems SolaFrame Theatre)
      So "Mix Pure", "Mix Cycle", etc are each distinct Ranges.
      For your fixture's Special FX, it sounds like 0-10 is the first range, so you'll put 0 for DMX Begin and 10 for DMX End. 
      The "Start" arrow determines what happens when you press the parameter button on your console, like pressing "Mix Rnd" on this example.  
      If the arrow is at the left, pressing the button will send the lowest DMX value (0 in your first range)
      If the arrow is in the middle pointing both ways, pressing the button will send the median DMX value (5 in your range)
      If the arrow is at the right, pressing the button will send the highest DMX value (10).
      If you're unsure what to use, I would recommend starting with the Middle option for this FX channel:

But let's say the control is "Strobe Slow to Fast" with levels of 0 - 127 DMX.  In that case, I probably want to start with the lowest (slowest) strobe when I press the button, not "middle strobe"

No matter what you choose, you can always scrub your finger up and down on that button to change the value.

If these answers lead to more questions for you, would you mind posting the DMX layout for your fixture(s)?  That may help guide answers.

• JoesLightsDMX.pdf

Thank you Matt Pumplin,

As you have requested.

I have a set of Chinese instruments that are unnamed and unbranded. 

I would like to use them with a Color Source 40  console. 

The ETC Fixtures and the Dimmers I have all have Personalities for the Color Source 40 but I need to create the Personalities for all the Chines instruments. 

I’m using the Personality Editor V. 1.1.1. 

I have attached a list of DMX layout for the Chinese Fixtures. 

I remain confused about this.  

Ron Ostertag

Related