Congo, Cobalt and OSC

I've decided to make a small remote using TouchOSC and encountered some problems:

1st i can't receive data from Congo

2nd /directselect/page/X always change to page 1

3rd when pressing/realeasing button to increase/decrease page it jumps two pages (if in page 5 goes to 7 or 3)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Varela

Parents
  • I haven't used OSC on the congo/cobalt platform yet but I have been testing OSC with the eos console.  

1.  You need to make sure the congo is transmitting osc to the ip address of your device at the port you are listening on.

2.  if you are using a button to select directselect/page/x  when you press a button in touchosc it transmits your address and a 1 when you release the button it sends a 0.  

3.  Check your range for the up/down buttons I would guess it is sending a 1 on press and a 1 on release which doubles the page change.

• Hi Andrew:

Thanks for your kick reply.

1.  I've tested with PureData at home and everything looked OK, but connect to the wireless network, with a laptop, of Congo didn't work, therefore i'm guessing that is a network configuration problem.(This was a quick and messy test, i will do some more tomorrow!)

2. You are right but it always goes to page one, therefore only directselect/page/1 works OK, because directselect/page/5, for example, has the same behaviour.

3. That was what i thought, i changed the range for 0 to 0 and 1 to 1 and it seems that Congo reacts to the signal independently from 0 or 1, and it always doubles the page change. The way to get around this is to use a toggle button with no local feedback!

Daniel Varela

• Some more feeback:

Item 2: Please note that you should use /directselect/page as the OSC address and that it takes a float number as argument to choose the page to select.

Item 3: What command are you using? It sounds like you should use the /masters/pagePlus/x or /masters/pageMinus/x commands where x is the master block number from 1 through 4. This is the only command you need to increase or decrease master pages.

Hope this helps.

Anders
  • Some more feeback:

Item 2: Please note that you should use /directselect/page as the OSC address and that it takes a float number as argument to choose the page to select.

Item 3: What command are you using? It sounds like you should use the /masters/pagePlus/x or /masters/pageMinus/x commands where x is the master block number from 1 through 4. This is the only command you need to increase or decrease master pages.

Hope this helps.

Anders
Children
  • Hi Anders:
    Thank's for your reply, and i'm sorry for the delay in my awnser but TouchOSC released an update and i wanted to make some more testing!

Item 2: in reality it needs to set the range to the page number required: /directselect/page/5 (range min:5 max:5)-to change for page 5, otherwise it keeps changing to page one if using: /directselect/page/5 (range min:0 max:1) and the same is valid for submaster pages!

Item 3:sending just /masters/pagePlus/x or /masters/pageMinus/x just won't work, you have to set a value and the problem is that when you press a button and send 1 it changes page and when you release the button it sends a 0 making a 'dual' press so it changes two pages, no matter what range you set!

As for the communication of OSC i do make sure that the IP of my device is correct but it doesn't receive information of Congo, i've tried whit pure data over wifi on the same network whit a Laptop and had no trouble getting bidirectional communication, is there any configuration of Congo i'm missing? (The aRFR is working without problem.)

Thank you all the your feedback!

Daniel Varela

• Hi,

It sounds like there are issues with how TouchOSC sends things. Can't you make a button just send a single specific OSC command? It sounds like it adds arguments and sends commands on both press and release, which is not what Congo expects.

About receiving information from Congo: What kind of information do you expect to receive? Congo will send status about master and main pb content to the IP addresses and port specified in the OSC settings. Which software version of Congo are you using?

Regards,
    Anders
  • All of the iOS OSC software that I have used make buttons send a 1 for press and a 0 for release. I have found ways around this using Lemur software but not with touchosc. I will look further into touchosc and see what I can come up with.
    Anders, Take a look at the button implementation for osc in the Eos family that we are in beta with. There are some of the same issues we are dealing with.
  • Hi there,

I can't make a button send a single command, but i can send just a command using the 'tabs' to change page on TouchOSC, and sending /masters/pagePlus/x, for example, it as no effect. It needs to send a 1 or some other value after to change the page, and it was this way i understood why congo was changing two pages at once(you actualy ear the beep twice)! Another way is using an on/off when pressing sends a 1, and Congo changes page, when you press it again sends a 0, and it changes page again!

From the tests i've made Congo is expecting always a value after the command, for example using the code masters/page/X wont't change the page, you have to make the higher and lower value equal to X(page which you want ), if you send 1 and 0 Congo changes to page 1 when the button is pressed and gives an error message (Out of Range) when releasing the button!

I'm using Cobalt 7.1.1, i'm sure the IP and ports are correct but i don't get any feedback from Cobalt, i expected the masters, direct selects labels has well as the masters level! What is the code for receiving the main playback info?
    I've tested my layout whit PureData over the same wireless network and it worked fine sending and receiving, so i dont think that is a network configuration, it seems that Congo just don't send anything, probably is some Congo configuration!

Daniel Varela
  • Hi,

Just curious what are the issues that you are dealing whith?
    It seems that is a problem of OSC implementation on ETC!
    Can you receive data from Eos?

Daniel Varela
  • receiving from eos works. not everything right now, but we're still in beta
  • Hi,

I have just verified that the /master/pagePlus/x commands work as I said with v7.1.1. I have used Max to send to Cobalt but it should be the same with other sources.

This is what Cobalt received and handled:
    OSC:
    Address = /masters/pagePlus/1
    Arguments = none

This command increases the page number for master block 1 by one.

I have also verified that this version of Cobalt sends information about the main playback (/mainplayback/label/a and /mainplayback/label/b for example) and master content to the IP-address and port number specified in the OSC settings.
    If these settings are correctly configured, it might be a firewall issue with the Cobalt software on this machine.
  • Remember that a Page on Cobalt is 20 Masters.

Cobalt has four blocks of Masters, and each block has independent Page controls.
    This means that you have to tell the console which block of Masters needs to change page - Block 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Secondly, OSC requires that the sender is told the IP address of the receiver, which Port number the receiver is listening on and be able to work out how to get there.
    - Remember that you need to do both ends, so you also have to configure the Receiver to listen on the same Port number that the Sender is sending to.

As OSC doesn't have any 'discovery' process, you have to type all of this in at both ends. They can't tell if you made a typo, so check carefully.

We'll need specific information on your install before we can offer much useful help:

• What is the IP address and OSC receiving Port of the Cobalt?
    • What is the IP address and OSC receiving Port of the OSC remote?
    • What's the actual physical route between the two - WiFi access point (LAN socket), WiFi router (WAN socket) etc?

My guess is that you've got a typo somewhere.

• Anders,
    TouchOSC dose not give you the option to have no arguments. so with TouchOSC if you want to send the following message
    This is what Cobalt received and handled:
    OSC:
    Address = /masters/pagePlus/1
    Arguments = none

you have to change the message to /masters/pageplus/
    and then the button will send a 1 when pressed and a 0 when released.
    There is currently no way in TouchOSC to eliminate the release value.
    The Eos also ignores the 0 on button release for most part.

With Lemur you can have a button only send the message on the down press so you only get the 1 and not the 0 but TouchOSC won't do this.
Related