Touch Screens and Fixture Profiles

I am waiting on my CONGO JR. to arrive and I have a few questions.

1.  What touch screens will work with the Congo Jr.?   

2. Are the touch screens worth while on the Congo Jr.?

3.  I did not see any profiles for any Elation Fixture in the offline editor.  How do I request these to be built?

Chad Costanzo
Technical Director
Bob Burton Center for the Performing Arts

[edited by: CCostanzo at 10:04 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, Jan 28 2007]
  • Hi,

Which Elation fixtures do you need templates (profiles) for? I could build them and have them added into the template library for the next release. If you need them sooner, I can email them to you.

Oskar

• CCostanzo:
    3.  I did not see any profiles for any Elation Fixture in the offline editor.  How do I request these to be built?
    You can do it yourself! The template editor is fairly easy to use, depending on how complex the fixtures are:

• Browser>Patch>Templates [Modify] opens the list of templates
    • [Insert] adds a new template, then hit [Modify] on the 'Parameters' cell.
    • This opens the Template Editor, which will be an empty tab.
    • Hit [Insert] for every parameter in the fixture (16-bit or fine/coarse parameters are just one parameter, set to HTP16 or LTP16).
    • Hit [Modify] on the Parameter Type cell and choose what the parameter does - if nothing fits, you can define a new parameter type in Browser>Patch>Parameter Definitions.
    • 'Default' is the position used for [Home Attributes].
    • 'Highlight' is the position used for [Highlight] mode - Pan and Tilt ignore this for obvious reasons.
    • Use Ranges to define the colours and gobos etc in Colour and Gobo wheels etc, and Tables for multi-function parameters, where the function is defined by another parameter - eg Gobo Rotation is either Indexed or Rotation speed depending on the Gobo Mode parameter.

Sarah Clausen posted some more information about templates here.

If you don't understand the editor or don't have time to do it, email your local ETC office and ask them!

We're happy to build them and email you a showfile to import the template(s) from, but this may take a day or two depending on how busy we are at the time.

[edited by: Richard at 8:59 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, Jan 28 2007]
  • Regarding your questions about touch screens - I have a report of a monitor known to work with Congo and Congo jr - the LG L1730SF 17''.

Here is why we don't support more touch screens at the moment. Congo uses the Embedded XP version of the Windows operating system. We can set up this OS to allow or disallow installation of software on the Congo hard disk. We disallow installation of other programs because we want to ensure that the Congo performs correctly as a lighting console. Touchscreen monitors usually require that a driver be installed to provide calibration and other special functions of the monitor.  In a future version, we may include drivers for certain touch screen monitors.

Now, whether they are required or helpful with Congo - we worked very hard to eliminate the use of a mouse in Congo. There are certain functions that could be really cool with a touch screen, like using the channel layouts, however most of the daily use of the console can be done quite easily from the console keypad.

If others have tried out touch screens and have found them to work well with Congo, please feel free to let me know about them. Look for touch screen support in a future version of Congo.

Thanks -

Sarah 

Related