irfr and iphone troubles..

Hi . 

I am Having trouble setting up my iphone with irfr. 

I have a netgear wireless router connected to the congo console.

i have followed instructions for setting up and connecting the iphone to the console.

I have manage to find the console with the remote app in the Settings, select console to connect to, but when i go to actually connect to the console in the welcome screen it will not connect. 

Also when i have connected to the wireless router i get the little wifi symbol at the top of the screen but when i set the static ip address given for the desk the symbol disappears..

I am running ios7 on the iphone.  Has anyone had similar difficulties or am i missing something simple. 

I have enabled remotes in the system menu.  

Thanks.. 

[edited by: Jkavanagh at 8:12 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 15 2013]
Parents
  • What do you mean by:

"but when i set the static ip address given for the desk the symbol disappears.."

That sounds like you're changing the IP address of the iPhone to be the same as the console.
    That will not work, as that gives you two things on the network with the same IP address.

In order to connect to the console it needs to be Online on the network, to be running with a show loaded and to have the "Remotes Enabled" in [Setup].

Finally, there must be a valid "IP route" between the iPhone and the console. There are many ways to do that.

See this Wiki page.

The first step is to identify which kind of hardware you're using for the WiFi:

If your WiFi device has an ethernet "WAN" port, then it is a Router.
    Connect the console to the WAN port, use the router's default settings and set your iPhone to DHCP/Automatic.

If your WiFi device does not, then it is being used as an Access Point - regardless of what it is labelled as.
    For these, you'll usually set your iPhone to a Static IP as described in the Wiki page.

[edited by: Richard at 10:47 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Oct 16 2013]
  • hi Richard. 

when i say the symbol dissapears i mean that wheni set the static ip, the phone drops the wireless network. 

i have followed your instructions and the wiki page but to no avail. i am sure the error is with the user ie me.. 

Just to check. i am connecting the router to the ethernet port on the console. am i right? 

I tried using a netgear WGR614 V 7 and a Belkin F7D1301 V7. I am having the same problem with both. 

• Yes, you need to use the "Ethernet" port on the console.
    - On a "Big" Congo there are two RJ45 ports, do not use the "APN", that's for an older type of Wing.

Is the Congo connected to a "LAN" or "WAN" port of the Netgear/Belkin?
    - LAN are often yellow and WAN blue, but not always so look for a label.

Are the network activity lights on the Netgear/Belkin and Congo blinking?

What are the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway IP of the Congo?
    Does the network show as "Online"?
    - These are shown in System Settings > Network.

What version of software is the Congo running?
    - Browser > About > About Congo

What are the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway IP of the iPhone?
    - What is the Static IP are you trying to set?

Is there anything else on the network?

• Yes, you need to use the "Ethernet" port on the console.
    - On a "Big" Congo there are two RJ45 ports, do not use the "APN", that's for an older type of Wing.

Is the Congo connected to a "LAN" or "WAN" port of the Netgear/Belkin?
    - LAN are often yellow and WAN blue, but not always so look for a label.

Are the network activity lights on the Netgear/Belkin and Congo blinking?

What are the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway IP of the Congo?
    Does the network show as "Online"?
    - These are shown in System Settings > Network.

What version of software is the Congo running?
    - Browser > About > About Congo

What are the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway IP of the iPhone?
    - What is the Static IP are you trying to set?

Is there anything else on the network?

Children
  • On the belkin the input is yellow. on the net gear it simply says internet. 

the desk is connecting to the routers.. 

congo details.. 

ip. 10.101.80.101, subnet mask 255.255.0.0, gateway 10.101.80.101

the network adaptor is showing as offline 

i am running the latest software update. v6.4.1

phone details. ip. 192.168.2.2, 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.2.1

the static ip i was trying to set was the same as congos. 10.101.80.101. 

there is nothing else on the network. 

• Jkavanagh said:
    the static ip i was trying to set was the same as congos. 10.101.80.101.

Aha - yes, that is the problem.
    You cannot have two devices on the network with the same IP address, it will kick one or both of them offline - which is why the WiFi symbol disappeared when you tried!

The Wiki page suggests using the IP: 10.101.125.101 for the first iPhone. (Though many oither values will work)

After you've done that, if the console network adapter is still showing as "offline" then reboot the Congo while keeping the router powered.

If it still doesn't come online after that, then you may have a bad ethernet cable between the Congo Ethernet port and the router, so try a different one.

Remember that the iRFR won't connect until the console has loaded a show file.

[edited by: Richard at 9:30 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Oct 17 2013]
Related