pixeline 1044

Hi all I only have 2 universe on my congo and want to use 8 pixeline 1044. OK Ive patch 5 on max 1 and run out off channels as I have movers and scrollers and other things on the go. I know I can drop the Pixeline down to 27 cell Res and still use the Effects built in to them but not sure how to patch these on the Congo,

Does any one have a fixture for the pixeline with 27 cell and the effects option, or can I make my own. See I'm not sure if i knock them down on the RES on the unit if the effects then go 28 on wards. Ive emailed pixeline but with no joy as of yet,.

Thanking you in this matter

Carlos

Parents
  • Hello again,

I don't have any experience with the PixelLine, but I just had a quick look at the PixelLine 1044 manual and to me it looks like you can set them to RES 27ch, but then you will loose the effects since RES is only available in the DMX mode (not in Max1). And DMX mode doesn't have the interal effects.

In general, about patching LED devices in Congo, my advise is to create a template with just Red, Green and Blue parameters (with "Fade with Intensity" turned ON for all parameters). Then just patch the right ammount of these to match the RGB channels on what ever LED device you have. Note that in Congo version 4.3 this type of template is included into the standard template library.
    To patch a PixelLine in DMX mode with RES 27, you would need to patch 9 of these RGB devices in Congo.

The "Fade with Intensity" setting in the template will enable you to use the level of the channel in Congo as intensity, even if the LED device doesn't have an intensity channel. The RGB values will then be scaled thru the channel intensity.
    Note that for Fade with Intensity to work in this case, the channels need to be patched to outputs (in addition to the device itself beeing patched). You can do this in the Channel list. Just patch the channels to some outputs you are not using.

Using a template with just RGB and patching the appropriate number of devices in the console will give you the posibility to use Congos dynamic effects, fan functions, etc. for the LEDs.

If you use the PixelLine template in the Extended library (which I assume you are doing), all RGB channels of one PixelLine are parameters under the same channel in Congo. Therefore using the dynamic effects of Congo for them wouldn't really work.

If you use a simple RGB template in Congo and patch it multiple times, you would still have to create an additional template for the effect and other functions of the device (if such functions exist in addition to the RGB channels) and patch it to some channel on Congo. I think programming will be a lot easier if you use a simple RGB template multiple times, than if you use the PixelLine template from the Extended library.

Oskar

[edited by: okrogell at 11:52 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 10 2007] [edited by: okrogell at 10:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 10 2007]
  • Hello again,

I don't have any experience with the PixelLine, but I just had a quick look at the PixelLine 1044 manual and to me it looks like you can set them to RES 27ch, but then you will loose the effects since RES is only available in the DMX mode (not in Max1). And DMX mode doesn't have the interal effects.

In general, about patching LED devices in Congo, my advise is to create a template with just Red, Green and Blue parameters (with "Fade with Intensity" turned ON for all parameters). Then just patch the right ammount of these to match the RGB channels on what ever LED device you have. Note that in Congo version 4.3 this type of template is included into the standard template library.
    To patch a PixelLine in DMX mode with RES 27, you would need to patch 9 of these RGB devices in Congo.

The "Fade with Intensity" setting in the template will enable you to use the level of the channel in Congo as intensity, even if the LED device doesn't have an intensity channel. The RGB values will then be scaled thru the channel intensity.
    Note that for Fade with Intensity to work in this case, the channels need to be patched to outputs (in addition to the device itself beeing patched). You can do this in the Channel list. Just patch the channels to some outputs you are not using.

Using a template with just RGB and patching the appropriate number of devices in the console will give you the posibility to use Congos dynamic effects, fan functions, etc. for the LEDs.

If you use the PixelLine template in the Extended library (which I assume you are doing), all RGB channels of one PixelLine are parameters under the same channel in Congo. Therefore using the dynamic effects of Congo for them wouldn't really work.

If you use a simple RGB template in Congo and patch it multiple times, you would still have to create an additional template for the effect and other functions of the device (if such functions exist in addition to the RGB channels) and patch it to some channel on Congo. I think programming will be a lot easier if you use a simple RGB template multiple times, than if you use the PixelLine template from the Extended library.

Oskar

[edited by: okrogell at 11:52 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 10 2007] [edited by: okrogell at 10:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 10 2007]
Children
  • Hi to you to is it me or is it just me having problems / questions on the congo or is everyone else an expert this desk !!!!!!! :P

OK After long night on my offline congo I believe that I now have all my pixelines patch and my effects working OK and I can create some mean effects using the Congo Dyn as well. I justed knocked out the cells 9 to 18 on my Template and this seemed to work OK (famous last words). Right my next question is about colour RGB. Ive coloured all my individual cells up into colour pallets (so Red has 9 pallets for Red cell 1 to Red cell 9) This works the best for me as I have put these all onto a Master page for me to mix with.

This works so I can make a look of what I want in what ever Cell and unit I want - Hope this makes sense (so if I wanted Unit 5 Cell 6 in Red I press my direct select for 505 my unit then fade up my master Cell 6 Red) 

My problem is I've switched the rubberband on so if I don't like the look I can fade each cell out again. Do you think this is a good way of doing it or am I missing a much easier way.

Cheers Oskar for all your input so far, you help me out loads.

• Ok, there is a second Rubberband option for masters: "Rubberband return on fade down"

If you turn Master rubberbanding and return on fadedown ON, then the master will fade into Red, and return back out as you fade it down.

If you've put an actual Attribute (as opposed to Palette or Preset) directly onto the Master, then it does this automatically anyway. 

• Hi Carl,

If it works for you, then go with it.

I just think that having all the cells of one PixelLine in one template, might get difficult to program.

I'd have each cell patched in Congo as a separate device and use a RGB template with just three parameters (RGB) with Fade with Intensity ON for all parameters.
    This way, each cell would be it's own channel/device in Congo. Then just select the device you want, and adjust RGB values on it. You could also use Fan to fan colors over any number of cells.

The Fade with Intensity setting is good use when using LEDs. Since a RGB LED device usually does not have an intesity parameter, fading out a color you've set is easy if you use Fade with Intensity. To fade out a color with RGB LEDs that have no intensity, you need to bring the RGB values to zero.
    If you use Fade with Intensity, the console does this for you. When you pull down the intensity to zero, the RGB parameters will be scaled thru the intensity, so it will fade out the color you've set without you having to record the RGB parameters to zero.
    Again, note that the channels the RGB devices are patched to also need to be patched to outputs for the Fade with Intensity to work. You can do this in the Patch Wizard, Patch dimmer or the Channel list.

With each cell as it's own device, you could also use just one set of color palettes, for all cells, since they are own devices. I guess you've now created a bunch of palettes just to have access to each cell in each PixelLine.

When using Fade with Intensity, you can also use the intensity dynamic effects in Congo to create effects on the LEDs. You can also use the color dynamic effects as well for the RGB parameters.

I'm not sure how much of the Congo effects you can use in the setup you've got now. But if you have the time and interest, try also this approach. I'm guessing you have pretty much hands on control of the cells and colors right now with all the palettes you have. You might have to do some of that a different way in the approach I've explained.
    But, if the current setup works for you, go with it.

Hope it helps,

Oskar :o)
  • Hi, Im pritty new with LED's and RGB I'm use to working with macs but have a whole month to set up my dance show with Pixelines on the offline editor and on my congo at work. So I can play around to get the best layout for programming as I only have a 2 x 8 hrs a day programme time.

Im intrested in what you say about the colour Dyn I use this loads on my scrollers for colour chases and my Mac 300's. So will RGB come into this as Ive set up loads of Dyn to run each cell at the moment :(

I think I will keep my way of selecting my unit them useing master's for each cell to create my look, will have a look at using each cell as a unit when I get a free day to play. if Im understanding you right I can set this up like:-

Unit 111 will be Unit 1 Cell 1, 112 Unit 1 Cell 2 ................

Unit 121 will be Unit 2 Cell 1, 122 Unit 2 Cell 2................

Unit 131 will be Unit 3 Cell 1, 132 Unit 3 Cell 3.................

Then just set a few Colour pallets for these units. Insead on 9 pallets for each unit. MMMMMMMMmmmmm

Carlos

• Hi Carl,

You are correct about the patching/setup of the cells/units.

Since each cell is it's own device, and each device only has three parameters (Red, Green, Blue), you can use the Color Dynamics for them the same way you use Color Dynamics for your macs. If you go look at the Color dynamics, they are all made for both CMY and RGB parameters. So the same dynamics that you use for you macs, will work for your LEDs.

And yes, you probably will have a lot less palettes...

Oskar :o)

• If you use Fade With Intensity, don't you have to an Intensity Field to the template?  For Example...

Intensity
    Red
    Green
    Blue

If this is the case, than you need to address the second fixture as five, instead of four. But some fixtures, like the ColorBlaze, will not let you change the dmx address of each individual cell, only the starting number. Additionally, the City Theatrical power supplies for ColorBlasts and iColor Coves will not let you address them individually either.

Mike Zinman

• Hi Mike,

The template does not necesarily need to have an Intensity parameter for Fade with Intensity to work. Fade with Intensity will work two ways.

1. With an Intensity parameter in the template.

2. Without an Intensity parameter in the template. But then you have to have the channel your RGB device is pathced to, also patched to an output. So have both the device is patched and the channel is patched (in the Channel list). Just patch the channel to an dummy output address that isn't used by any other lights.

There is a plan to change the behaviour of Fade with Intensity so that the channel > output patch wouldn't be needed. But don't know when this will happen.

Oskar

[edited by: okrogell at 5:14 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Mar 14 2007]
Related