Congo Offline Editor v4.3.0 for Mac Now Available

Installers for Congo Offline Editor v4.3.0 are now available for download here. There are two installers - one for Motorola PowerPC processors and a different one for Intel-based Macs.

Thanks -

Sarah 

Parents
  • Wow... That was fast! I'm sure all Mac users are joining me to thank you Sarah :-) ok, let's go bug hunting so we'll have some more work for you! J/K
  • Yep, that's fantastic, I wish a few other companies were as committed to Mac support !

however... I think I've stumbled across a couple of bugs...

1. I can't turn 'Build Sequence' off -I've killed it in 'Settings' but it remains active
    2. I still can't find an 'Insert' key. Neither 'Help' nor 'command / alt / ctrl + delete' work

any thoughts or is it just my keyboard ? this is a G5 imac with a UK keyboard layout.

Thanks again (and sorry...)

Richard

• [Insert] has been moved to Command & [Delete] - a much more logical place than before!
  • Hi Richard,

Ive tried that and still nothing... I'm using the 'Delete' key which nestles just under the 'Help' key but no combination of modifier seems to turn it into 'Insert'.

It works fine on its own as 'Delete' !

Very odd, I'll try it on my Dad's iBook...

• Wow, that was a complete pain...

It hardly works at all on the iBook ! Sometimes simple key presses ('S' to open Sequence List) work, sometimes they don't.
    Having to go between the virtual keypad and normal is infuriatingly complicated.
    There's NO 'Delete' button so I can't even try the 'Insert' function... grrrr...

Am I missing something here ? -Is there some custom key-map or Keyboard layut I have to install before I can use this properly ?

Pretty confused here...

• So it appears that the files we have posted won't work as installers. I expect to have new installer files posted very soon. Please bear with me.

Thanks much -

Sarah 

• Hi Sarah,

If it helps, when I installed on my G5 iMac, which has just had a fresh install of OSX 10.4.9, the Installation type when using the installer was 'Install' as there was no previous incarnation installed. This installation seems to work fairly consistently, with the exception of CMD+Delete not working as 'Insert' and 'Build Sequence' resolutely staying on !

When I installed on the iBook, which already had MacCongo 4.2.1 installed, the Installation type was 'Upgrade'. This hasn't worked at all well. I'll try and uninstall all taces of MacCongo and run the installer again.

I'll keep you posted

Richard
  • Hi again,

Ok, so I trashed the 'Congo' folder from apps (as I'd done earlier) but this time I also removed:

com.Avab.Congo.plist which had sneaked into MacIntoshHD>Library>Preferences (rather than being in the User Library) 

and

InstallCongo430 Motorola.pkg from MacIntoshHD>Library>Receipts

This time around, the Installation type was 'Install' and it works just the same as on my G5, so apologies if this was a red herring.

Can't try the Insert problem as there is no apparent 'Delete' key. Is there an alternative for compact (ie. non-extended) keyboards ?

Have sort of worked round not being able to turn 'Build Sequence' off by loading Seq 0 to Playback. (Interestingly 'Modify Sequence' turns on and off as you'd expect!)

Hope this helps

Richard

ps. Love the fact that the editor now lives within a proper scalable window -I can now keep my dock visible !
  • About the iBook keyboard layout: Looking at this specific keyboard, I can understand your frustration! Apparently, Apple have gone very far in this model to remove buttons (or have double functions, special modes etc). This will of course make it difficult to use keyboard heavy applications like the Congo offline. This is especially true for the numerical keypad that is used very frequently.

My general feeling is that it will be very difficult to use Congo offline with such a limited keyboard (mainly because of the missing keypad but also since there is no real DELETE button). Also, I cannot see how the Congo offline could be modified in such a way that it would work with the most compact keyboard layouts.

I would recommend to use an external keyboard with a numerical keypad.

• Hi Anders,

I'd kind of come to that conclusion re the ibook, you can't really expect such a cut-down keyboard to work fully.

I am, however still interested as to why the 'Delete' key on my extended apple keyboard works as 'Delete' but 'CMD+Delete' doesn't work as 'Insert'.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Cheers

Richard

Reply Children
  • New installers are now available. Please let us know if any of you continue to have problems.

Thanks very much for your patience!

Sarah 

• About the Insert/Delete problem on the keyboard: I have now bought myself a Mac keyboard to be able to verify this properly. (Normally, I only use PC keyboards, which should be the same ideally...)

As far as I can see, it works just like it should, directly out of the box. I am using a MiniMac (Intel) with a fresh Max OS X 10.4 with the full Apple keyboard.

Delete (below the Help key) works as Delete when pressed alone. Command-Delete works as Insert.

Does someone else have these problems as well? Can there be any keyboard settings in the Mac OS that may mess up the button codes?

(Although I have managed to port the Congo application to Mac, I am not a Mac expert as you may have noticed!)

Anders

• Hi Anders,

Dredging this up again, I also cannot get insert to work on my keyboard (UK Apple bluetooth wireless). Interestingly after a bit of fiddling and searching I've realised that this combination is supposed to do "move to trash" in Finder and this also does not work. I'm going to dredge up a wired keyboard tomorrow and see if that makes the difference. Interestingly command-backspace works in finder to move to trash, but not in congo. I'll let you know what I find changing keyboards.

Richard 

Related