Emergency help – MTC to Congo

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:Standardowy; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hello I have emergency topic with MIDI Time Code in Congo.

I used:

- Laptop

- M-AUDIO (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html)

- MIDIOX Sofware

- Connected to Congo, set in Setup “Read MIDI Time Code (MTC)”

I set some time code values and works great.

Now I am in theatre and there is a strong need to receive MTC from a Player – SONY PDW-F70 XDCAM (see attachements). There is Time code from BNC output.

Please help:

-         does somebody all over the world did such connection type and can help

-         what kind of cable I should use – pins connection

Till now I did tries with connecting:

BNC               DIN5

GND               2

Signal               4

BNC               DIN5

GND               2

Signal               5

BNC               DIN5

GND               5

Signal               4

But it does not work.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Parents
  • Hi,

As Bullen already wrote, you need to have some sort of converter for the timecode. The timecode that your SONY XDCAM player sends is SMPTE timecode (see wikipedia) and that is an analog signal, not MIDI timecode. You cannot connect the timecode from your Sony direct to Congo, because Congo cannot listen to SMPTE timecode direct. You need to have a converter that converts SMPTE timecode to Midi timecode. Most videoplayers that have a timecode output as BNC, Phono-plug or XLR output SMPTE timecode.

For example the JL Cooper PPS-2 box can do this conversion. Also some MOTU boxes convert SMPTE to MTC. And there are other manufacturers of similar boxes.

Oskar

• Hi,

As Bullen already wrote, you need to have some sort of converter for the timecode. The timecode that your SONY XDCAM player sends is SMPTE timecode (see wikipedia) and that is an analog signal, not MIDI timecode. You cannot connect the timecode from your Sony direct to Congo, because Congo cannot listen to SMPTE timecode direct. You need to have a converter that converts SMPTE timecode to Midi timecode. Most videoplayers that have a timecode output as BNC, Phono-plug or XLR output SMPTE timecode.

For example the JL Cooper PPS-2 box can do this conversion. Also some MOTU boxes convert SMPTE to MTC. And there are other manufacturers of similar boxes.

Oskar

Children
Related