How to set up a congo backup?

Hi to all, 

Here's my question : i want to use a congo as server, congo jr as backup during the shows. What should I use to connect both consoles in a network so that I don't lose my DMX signal in case of a congo server crash? I don't want to use the DMX outputs of both congos, so I guess I need a DMX node.

Can the ETC DMX node be used as a ethernet hub? or do I have to use a regular ethernet hub and then connect it to a DMX node?

I hope my question is clear enough

thanks

Stephan
  • Hi Stephan -

You will need an Ethernet hub or switch to connect the two consoles and the DMX Gateway. If you have a Power-over-Ethernet switch, you can use that to power the Net3 DMX Gateway directly over the Ethernet cable. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks!

Sarah

• hi Sarah,

Thanks for your quick answer. I made a scheme to be sure I get it right. First of all, does it look right? Have I missed something? Is there anything redundant? 

In this case, if Congo (server) crashes, will Congo Jr (backup) turn into server without any loss of DMX signal to dimmers and devices? (assuming that backup sync function is on). If both controllers crash (yes, it could happen ha ha), what signal will the gateway send to DMX devices?

Then I have a few questions about DMX gateway. 

If a regular DMX controller is plugged in the gateway, is there a way to patch dmx outputs directly in the DMX gateway? (in case the controller doesn't have a soft patch and can't support more than 1 DMX universe). For example, for a 6-channels controller, can I patch outputs 12, 324, 502 from U1 and 123, 301, 512 of U2? (I guess it would be HTP)

Is it possible to set up the gateway directly from congo or it has to be done only from a PC with gateway software?

does this software run on Mac OSX?

I haven't read all about ethernet protocols used by Congo so I won't ask you questions that will be answered to me in documentation ;-) , but be sure i will have a few questions left for you.

thanks for the great support job you do.

Stephan

• oops...

looks like the pdf scheme did not upload well on my post... I am sending it to you by email so you can look at it.

Sorry

Stephan
  • Hi Stephan -

Yes, the whole idea about having a backup console is that it will become a server when it loses "sight" of the original server. I have seen backup consoles take over mid-fade within 2 seconds of the server failing (or being induced to "fail" by unplugging its network cable). Backup Sync simply tells the backup to follow any playback commands on the server so that it takes over in the same spot in the show. If a server fails and backup sync is not started, then the backup will become a server and start sending whatever data it has at the moment.

DMX Gateways can be set up to "Hold Last Look" which means it will continue to output the last valid signal it recieved. This can be set up to fade out in a certain amount of time, or to hold that look indefinitely. If you were to experience something as bad as both the server and backup failing, the Gateway should hold the last look until you get the system restarted. In this case, you should restart your Congo with the FREEZE switch enabled until you can get the console completely started and back into a show state - otherwise, a blackout will get sent to the gateway before you get your show loaded. FREEZE on startup keeps the console from generating any data, so you can use the Gateway's last look until you are ready to take over the show once again.

Regarding patching within the Gateway itself, I believe you can use the NCE software to configure what's called "Advanced Input Patch" to do what you describe above. I am not an expert on this, though. NCE has to run on a separate computer, and it is only PC compatible. I am not sure if it will run well on a new Mac with the Intel processor and the dual boot function, but I'm sure someone from Tech Service will let us know - Richard?

Thanks -

Sarah 

• wow.. that's what i call a speed of light answer.

thanks a lot

Stephan
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous in reply to sclausen

Stephan –

Sarah is correct, Advanced Input Patch (AIP) will allow you to map DMX input values to other EDMX values.  This is modified by opening up NCE, Discover your Node, Change the port to an Input, and Check the AIP Box.

After this is done, go to Edit, AIP.  This will open a pop up box where you can select the node input port and modify the patch.  It’s fairly simple.

About NCE running on a MAC...unfortunately it dose not run on OSX.  However if you have an Intel Mac, and use Boot Camp to boot into Windows XP/Vista most of the ETC applications work just fine including NCE.   I use my MacBook around the factory all the time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Thanks to you as well Benjamin,

I'm going to read all docs about it and then get back to you if I have further questions.

Greetings from Switzerland

Stephan
  • Even more usefully, NCE can be installed onto your Congo, and accessed from the Heartbeat under System Settings.

This does take a bit of setting up though as it's usually done by an ETC field service engineer during system commissioning, so it's best if you call your local ETC Tech Support for step-by-step instructions.

For technical support in the Americas, please call (+1) 608/831-4116, or toll-free in the U.S. at 800/688-4116.
    For technical support in Europe, please call (+44) 20 8896 1000.
    For technical support in Germany, please call (+49) 8024 4700-0
    For technical support in Asia, please call (+852) 2799 1220.

• Here comes a new question :

Since Congo, Congo Jr and DMX Gateway use Net3, does NCE support this new protocol as well? Looks to me that it can only do ETCNet2.

• Net 3 gateways running in net 3 mode will not be configurable via NCE.  Another tool should be coming to handle that task.

That tool hasn't been released yet because we haven't released net 3 mode for gateways yet.  The net 3 gateways that are currently shipping are running in net 2 mode and are configured with NCE 4.2.

[edited by: Tracy.Fitch at 8:47 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 09 2007]
Related