How to set up a congo backup?

Hi to all, 

Here's my question : i want to use a congo as server, congo jr as backup during the shows. What should I use to connect both consoles in a network so that I don't lose my DMX signal in case of a congo server crash? I don't want to use the DMX outputs of both congos, so I guess I need a DMX node.

Can the ETC DMX node be used as a ethernet hub? or do I have to use a regular ethernet hub and then connect it to a DMX node?

I hope my question is clear enough

thanks

Stephan
Parents
  • Hi Stephan -

You will need an Ethernet hub or switch to connect the two consoles and the DMX Gateway. If you have a Power-over-Ethernet switch, you can use that to power the Net3 DMX Gateway directly over the Ethernet cable. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks!

Sarah

• hi Sarah,

Thanks for your quick answer. I made a scheme to be sure I get it right. First of all, does it look right? Have I missed something? Is there anything redundant? 

In this case, if Congo (server) crashes, will Congo Jr (backup) turn into server without any loss of DMX signal to dimmers and devices? (assuming that backup sync function is on). If both controllers crash (yes, it could happen ha ha), what signal will the gateway send to DMX devices?

Then I have a few questions about DMX gateway. 

If a regular DMX controller is plugged in the gateway, is there a way to patch dmx outputs directly in the DMX gateway? (in case the controller doesn't have a soft patch and can't support more than 1 DMX universe). For example, for a 6-channels controller, can I patch outputs 12, 324, 502 from U1 and 123, 301, 512 of U2? (I guess it would be HTP)

Is it possible to set up the gateway directly from congo or it has to be done only from a PC with gateway software?

does this software run on Mac OSX?

I haven't read all about ethernet protocols used by Congo so I won't ask you questions that will be answered to me in documentation ;-) , but be sure i will have a few questions left for you.

thanks for the great support job you do.

Stephan

• oops...

looks like the pdf scheme did not upload well on my post... I am sending it to you by email so you can look at it.

Sorry

Stephan
Reply Children
No Data
Related