Triggering lighting with audio track

Hi

I'm after playing back a music track and having it trigger the lighting. Could you suggest the best option?

I have a Mac with logic express on. I was thinking about buying a USB to midi cable and putting a separate track in with the midi triggers.

Is there a simpler way or am I heading on the right lines?

I wondered if people had used free MSC software. (We have a PC we could us for this).

Thanks Gareth

Congo Jr. v6.1.1

Parents Reply Children
  • The two "main" ways to handle the playback to console link are MIDI Show Control (MSC) and MIDI Timecode.
    - You can use the rear MIDI In port for either or both of these, or a Show Control Gateway if the MIDI source is too far away or you are using actual SMPTE LTC (an audio signal) as a timecode.

With MSC, you put commands like "Device ID X: Cue Y Go" along with exactly when into QLab or similar show control software.
    This needs "MIDI Show Control" to be turned on in [Setup] > ShowControl.

With MIDI Timecode, the player simply sends out a timecode over MIDI, the console listens to this timing and runs the appropriate cue when the times match.
    This needs "Time code" to be set to External in [Setup] > ShowControl.

- Timecode is generally easier to program, as the console can "learn" the timing automatically:

• Turn on Timecode "Learn mode" ([Setup] > ShowControl)
    • Run the show aduio/video timecode source and hit Go at the right moments.
    • Turn off Timecode "Learn mode"

The console has now recorded all the timings exactly as you played back the show.
    You can edit (eg add/subtract a few frames or seconds) any that need adjusting slightly.

[edited by: Richard at 5:58 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 23 2012]
  • Richard,

Richard said:

You can edit (eg add/subtract a few frames or seconds) any that need adjusting slightly.

It would be nice to edit this field directly from the numeric keypad without having to switch to the keyboard for the colon.

Thanks, Mario

• Gareth,

although it's a cool software, there is a major disadvantage in QLab:

In QLab you can not fast forward the timecode together with the music track as it is not linked to the track. So you always have to run the whole track to check your timing.

Mario

• If you used MSC Commands instead of Timecode, having each MSC as a follow on to the main track set at designated times, fast forwarding the track will still be possible, shouldn't it?

• mdaszenies said:

Richard,

It would be nice to edit this field directly from the numeric keypad without having to switch to the keyboard for the colon.

Thanks, Mario

[/quote]

You can!

Use [.] (dot) instead, or don't bother with any separator at all and Congo will right-align it.

Eg: "1200" is interpreted as "00:00:01:20"

[edited by: Richard at 4:27 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 30 2012]
Related