Triggering lighting with audio track

Hi

I'm after playing back a music track and having it trigger the lighting. Could you suggest the best option?

I have a Mac with logic express on. I was thinking about buying a USB to midi cable and putting a separate track in with the midi triggers.

Is there a simpler way or am I heading on the right lines?

I wondered if people had used free MSC software. (We have a PC we could us for this).

Thanks Gareth

Congo Jr. v6.1.1

Parents
  • You might want to check out QLab. I think you need Pro for MIDI. It is a very affordable option audio playback and queuing. Very affordable and functional. Supports MSC and SMPTE and can be bought or rented.

You're still going to need a MIDI interface for the MAC or a show control gateway for the Congo. We use a Focusrite Sapphire LE.

• The two "main" ways to handle the playback to console link are MIDI Show Control (MSC) and MIDI Timecode.
    - You can use the rear MIDI In port for either or both of these, or a Show Control Gateway if the MIDI source is too far away or you are using actual SMPTE LTC (an audio signal) as a timecode.

With MSC, you put commands like "Device ID X: Cue Y Go" along with exactly when into QLab or similar show control software.
    This needs "MIDI Show Control" to be turned on in [Setup] > ShowControl.

With MIDI Timecode, the player simply sends out a timecode over MIDI, the console listens to this timing and runs the appropriate cue when the times match.
    This needs "Time code" to be set to External in [Setup] > ShowControl.

- Timecode is generally easier to program, as the console can "learn" the timing automatically:

• Turn on Timecode "Learn mode" ([Setup] > ShowControl)
    • Run the show aduio/video timecode source and hit Go at the right moments.
    • Turn off Timecode "Learn mode"

The console has now recorded all the timings exactly as you played back the show.
    You can edit (eg add/subtract a few frames or seconds) any that need adjusting slightly.

[edited by: Richard at 5:58 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 23 2012]
  • The two "main" ways to handle the playback to console link are MIDI Show Control (MSC) and MIDI Timecode.
    - You can use the rear MIDI In port for either or both of these, or a Show Control Gateway if the MIDI source is too far away or you are using actual SMPTE LTC (an audio signal) as a timecode.

With MSC, you put commands like "Device ID X: Cue Y Go" along with exactly when into QLab or similar show control software.
    This needs "MIDI Show Control" to be turned on in [Setup] > ShowControl.

With MIDI Timecode, the player simply sends out a timecode over MIDI, the console listens to this timing and runs the appropriate cue when the times match.
    This needs "Time code" to be set to External in [Setup] > ShowControl.

- Timecode is generally easier to program, as the console can "learn" the timing automatically:

• Turn on Timecode "Learn mode" ([Setup] > ShowControl)
    • Run the show aduio/video timecode source and hit Go at the right moments.
    • Turn off Timecode "Learn mode"

The console has now recorded all the timings exactly as you played back the show.
    You can edit (eg add/subtract a few frames or seconds) any that need adjusting slightly.

[edited by: Richard at 5:58 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jan 23 2012]
Children
Related