Pan Revers

I have my MLs now behaving nicely in that they pan and tilt intuitively with my encoders (tilt to 90 and the then counterclockwise turn pan encoder to have the beam travers the stage from upstage left to upstage right. And, the little XY chart in the ML panel follows neatly. Now to augment3d: With X rotation set to 135 my tilts work great. But the pan in the virtual stage rotates in the opposite direction to the real world? 

Parents
  • Sounds like you have rotated Augment3d's positioning of the fixture rather than correcting the pan range in the fixture profile if this is the same fixture as before. Referring back to this article about correction, of the ranges, you should start by swapping the User Min and Max values.

• From my original picture the ML is pointing up stage center at DMXs 0 and 37335. By setting 37335 as 'home' I'm pointing (with a 90deg Tilt of course) upstage. From that diagram then my excursions to either side looked like they should be: Counterclockwise +270deg and clockwise -360deg. Hence my ranges.

The ranges were swapped but things got very strange. My the dot in my XY chart was banged hard over to the left. And, odder still in the Augment3d display pulling a beam around resulted in the mouse going one way and the beam the other! (The X = 0 at this time)

This evening I swapped my ranges back but set the X orientation to -45deg. (I.E. 180 - 135) The result so far (at home) is that as the beam is pulled around the virtual stage the dot in the XY plot moves in concordance (I.E. The XY plot looks like a top down view of the beam moving around the stage floor). So my setup in the profile is: DMX 0 37335 65535 User -360 -45 270 with an Augment3d X = -45deg.

At home anyway the coordination between the XY plot, the Pan and Tilt 'faders' in the ML panel and the Augment3d virtual feel intuitively natural. But the real test will be tomorrow when I see what the Encoders and real MLs will do live!

If I were to design a fixture I would ensure that the half DMX max of 65536, 32768 would pull the lamp to straight ahead. I.E. the yoke parallel to the chalk line thus giving me an equal excursion both ways before having to go back around. I think some more expensive fixture have an inbuilt offset to make this appear so. My poor little beasties though at half max point -45 off center. They are asymmetric and must be accommodated for, which is giving me a headache.

• From my original picture the ML is pointing up stage center at DMXs 0 and 37335. By setting 37335 as 'home' I'm pointing (with a 90deg Tilt of course) upstage. From that diagram then my excursions to either side looked like they should be: Counterclockwise +270deg and clockwise -360deg. Hence my ranges.

The ranges were swapped but things got very strange. My the dot in my XY chart was banged hard over to the left. And, odder still in the Augment3d display pulling a beam around resulted in the mouse going one way and the beam the other! (The X = 0 at this time)

This evening I swapped my ranges back but set the X orientation to -45deg. (I.E. 180 - 135) The result so far (at home) is that as the beam is pulled around the virtual stage the dot in the XY plot moves in concordance (I.E. The XY plot looks like a top down view of the beam moving around the stage floor). So my setup in the profile is: DMX 0 37335 65535 User -360 -45 270 with an Augment3d X = -45deg.

At home anyway the coordination between the XY plot, the Pan and Tilt 'faders' in the ML panel and the Augment3d virtual feel intuitively natural. But the real test will be tomorrow when I see what the Encoders and real MLs will do live!

If I were to design a fixture I would ensure that the half DMX max of 65536, 32768 would pull the lamp to straight ahead. I.E. the yoke parallel to the chalk line thus giving me an equal excursion both ways before having to go back around. I think some more expensive fixture have an inbuilt offset to make this appear so. My poor little beasties though at half max point -45 off center. They are asymmetric and must be accommodated for, which is giving me a headache.

Children
Related