Understanding XYZ focus

Working in 3.1 for the first time on a live production (yay!) and I'm trying to understand xyz focus better.

So I recorded all of my focus palettes in XYZ format, and recorded most of my cues the same way. I had a group of movers midstage that performers regularly crossed as I was following with those movers. Things got weird with the path the movers took, but I'll save that for another post.

What I'm trying to understand is, when i'm in pan/tilt format, everything saves with those pan/tilt values... but it was my understanding that when in XYZ format, the only thing being recorded was the XYZ focus (which is calculated by the Augment3D engine, right?) Because if I move the position of my light (in A3D and real life) after I've recorded XYZ data.... the light continues to point at the saved XYZ data (which is now a different pan/tilt)

My question is, how is the XYZ data saved differently when flip is used? Because when I used it, it accurately saved the flipped data but still displayed the XYZ as the same. Is there some hidden attribute that tells A3D which flipped version to use?

I ask because, if I had the option to control that "flip" data, then I could theoretically set my focus points to make sure no unintentional flips happened the way I would when making focus palettes with pan/tilt. 'And while I guess I can still do it, I'm not sure how to confirm that without seeing that hidden "secret" attribute.

If my assumptions are correct above I would love to right up a feature request to see that "flip/orientation" data, or maybe my assumptions are wrong and I hope they can be corrected.

Related