Does anyone have a LIDAR scanning app to recommend?

I've had some success scanning 3D objects to import into Augment3d with a free iOS app called Scaniverse and an iPad pro, but I wondered if anyone else has found something they think works really well and would recommend.

tt2

• I've been using Scaniverse to capture bits of scenery. Ideally you want nice even lighting when you make the scan. The app guides you through the process, but essentially you walk around the object and the app generates a 3D model of what it sees. It takes a little practice to scan the whole surface while not missing anything, or revisiting the same areas too often as that can confuse the stitching process. Once you have your scan you can crop off parts you don't need, then export to a format that EOS can use. I've been saving them as .fbx files in OneDrive which I can access from both my iPad and the computers I use for offline editing. 

This is a small section of our proscenium arch which I duplicated and rotated to generate the whole thing.

This is the set for The Tiger Who Came To Tea, a children's show which we recently had running on top of our main show. 

The Import menu in the CIA lets you import 3D objects into your show file, after which they can be added from the materials pane and placed in your model. Here it all is in Augment3d.

You can attach objects to scenic elements if you need to be able to turn them on or off, or move them around. 

tt2

Related