MVR Import

Hello Gang,

We're having a day of exploring getting things into Augment3D here at the lovely Glyndebourne Opera

We have a lighting plan in Vectorworks (2023 SP2, and actually we've also updated to SP4 and the same thing happens).

We export it as an MVR.

That MVR will import correctly into Capture

If we import it into Eos, the correct position values appear in the console but as fixture labels ( so we see -5.9415 | 2.12477 | 10,4242) rather than appearing in the Augment3D XYZ position fields - the | character separates the X-Y-Z values.

Because there is still no position data in the XYZ fields, in Augment the lights all appear as a big pile on the floor (though interestingly this does mean that SOME data has populated the Aug3D position fields in order for them to appear in Aug3D -  - they all show position (0,0,0) but do have distinct Z orientation values.

If we take the (correct) Capture file, export that as an MVR, import it into Eos, the same thing happens....

It feels like there's an export setting (except there don't really seem to be any) or import setting (though we've tried adjusting with these) that we have wrong since others seem to be doing this successfully.

Clues welcome...

Thanks!

Rob.

Parents
  • MVR support for Eos calls out 2023 SP3 or later so there could be something left over from SP2

What are your export settings on the VWX side? There is a box to select both geometry and fixture data although then I would expect Capture not to see it as well.

Can you post the MVR file and the VWX file?

• Hey TJ.....

So the plot thickens:

File > New  (so empty Eos and Aug3d)

File > Import > MVR > (select file), then :

Merge Augment3d Scenery: YES
    Overwrite: YES
    Update Fixture Types: YES
    Update Fixture Types: NO
    Only Import Aug3D XYZ Location: YES
    Only Import Text/Notes/Labels/Gels: YES  (then all fields below: YES)

Field mapping - default

hit OK - 3D model comes in, lights come in all as dimmers, Aug Post set to (0,0,0) but with orientation set and with the fixture position information in the label field

BUT, if I then immediately go:

Import >MVR .> select the same file

but this time

Overwrite; NO

Update Fixture Types: YES

Only Import Aug3D ZYZ location: YES

Only Import text etc: NO

Field mappings - unchanged

then press OK, then all of the fixture XYZ information gets populated correctly and all the lights appear in the right place.

So something is getting messed up when you import the whole thing, but is then getting imported properly when you just import the XYZ info.

In passing, the options hare and the way they are written/presented is VERY confusing, particularly, eg:
    'Merge Agument3d Scenery' - you're merging in MVR scenery, surely? Or MVR into Augment?

'Only import...' - the implication is that if you have this checked nothing else will be imported, but if that's the case why does everything else not uncheck when you check this? If you have 'only import location' and 'only import text etc' checked, does ONLY one of them get imported? Or both? Or neither...?

Rob.

• Can you post or DM me the MVR file? Could be of interest how that file got packaged

Reply Children
  • OK update 2 - it's about how those 'only' options interact.

If I import with both 'only' options checked, only the second one (text/notes etc) gets imported. 

If I import with only 'only import aug3d positions' checked, the positions come in correctly.

So I think it's about the interface better showing what it means by 'only'.

I'm a visitor today so let me just check the gang here don't mind sharing their files and I'll send them on.

Rob.

• Update 3:

The lights are in and the right positions.

But some of them are in weird orientations.

Looking at chan 697, Aug3D orientation is: 91, 0, 60. Should be 0,0,60.

If we dig into Vectorworks:

the Lighting Device for chan 697 shows x Rot: 0, Y Rot 0, Z Rot 60

the Light Information for chan 697 shows Pan 0, Tilt 91

So Eos has somehow taken the Light Information Tilt as the Aug3d X rotation, then the Lighting Device Y rot and Z Rot have been correctly inserted as Aug3D Y and Z rotation.....?

Pictures below....

Rob.

• Next update:

OK, a lot of the problem is with the interface...

Turns out the issue above happened because the console hadn't imported any fixture imformation, so had patched everything as a dimmer. I think that had confused it about which bits of X/Y/Z information it should import (thought I think that's a bug).

BUT the reason it hadn't imported any fixtures is because having 'only import location' or 'only import text/notes etc' appears to cancel out 'update fixture types', even though all show as checked.

If I check 'update fixture types' and uncheck both 'only imports' (and set up some fixture mappings), then the fixtures get imported correctly, at which point the Aug3D orientation magically fixes itself,f...

Rob

• TJ - I think the Glyndebourne folks are going to send you the files by email or similar.

In the end, we got a pretty good version of the rig into Eos pretty quickly, which was encouraging.

But the way we achieved that most reliably was basically to repeat the same import several times with different options selected/unselected. As I say above it really needs greater clarity in the language and interface as to what each option is supposed to do, and it would be useful somewhere to provide reassurance as to what MVR field is being imported to what Eos field (rather than at the moment where some fields just say 'automatic' but don't actually show you what is 'automatically' being populated from which MVR field).

Rob.

• regarding Update 3:

This bug (EOS-54224) was fixed and released in 3.2.0.

Related