Some OSC commands work, some don't.

So about a year ago I started working on adding integration between my FileMaker paperwork system and EOS. I ended up using simple UDP strings do to most everything, as I was having problems getting OSC to play friendly.

I decided to look into OSC again tonight and I'm having weird problems that I can't solve despite hours of experimentation, reading, and searching the forums and show control guide.

Problem 1)

I can send /eos/key/xyz/ commands and they post to the command line properly. While they do post properly, I see in diagnostics "error, OSCKeyMethod missing key name" and my searches for this error and what it means have come up blank.

Problem 2)

I cannot send any kind of /set/ strings or /cmd/ strings. Here's a few examples and what they show up as in diagnostics:

String Behavior Diagnostics
/eos/set/cue/1/1/label="TextHere"
Clears existing label String appears with everything but TextHere
/eos/set/patch/1/label="TextHere"
Nothing Event does not appear
/eos/cmd="1 at 75 #"
Nothing Event does not appear
/eos/cmd/1/at/75/
 Nothing  Event does not appear

Same results for /newcmd/. I'm experiencing these issues using both my TCP/UDP sender plugin for FileMaker (MBS), as well as with PacketSender. 

What could be causing some to work but not others?

This all came about tonight because I'm looking for a way to send address data to patch. I can send everything else over no problem but I couldn't figure out how to get address data over and that led me down this rabbit hole. Currently to patch something the only way I can get it to work is to do:

/eos/key/open_dmx_patch/
/eos/key/1/
/eos/key/at/
/eos/key/1/
/eos/key/#/

But there has to be a better way... /eos/key/open_dmx_patch/ and then /eos/cmd/1/at/1/#/ should work, no? Is there an old fashioned UDP string that can send address data over? I tried <U1>Edit_Target address Patch 1 -1 -1 1 with no luck. 

Parents
  • Hey Mike! Did you ever come up with a good Filemaker script to send OSC properly via MBS? I've been working on the same thing.

• Hey Jake! In a way, yes. I've done a lot more with both OSC and Strings with FileMaker since this post was made - have learned a ton since then too which makes a lot of this post embarrassing to read now! 

My FileMaker/MBS/OSC stuff relies on an intermediate Python program that  worked on for me where it takes the incoming OSC, filters it to only what I want, and then takes the arguments and slaps them on the end of one long string separated by forward slashes. Then, I can parse that string in FileMaker and say get the nth value between the nth set of "/ /" if that makes sense. 

Trying to get OSC packets directly to MBS/FileMaker was a crapshoot. Some things worked, some didn't. There are also challenges with FileMaker being able to read all of the messages without hanging up. 

I'm currently using this Eos>Python>MBS>FM connection to get groups, cues, and presets from the console for image capture purposes. FM queries the console for targets, then the console replies back. It's not perfect but it works. 

It's kinda complicated to type up properly without visuals and examples. Next time I'm in the city maybe we can meet up for lunch and I'll show you?

Reply Children
Related