How to have Nomad EOS accept a MIDI trigger from a stand-alone audio playback device, files created by Reaper?

Hello,  I am involved in an installation project where we will be linking a sound cycle to lighting effects programmed by EOS/Nomad.

We are looking into how to keep the light in sync with the sound.

The sound will be designed on Reaper and in the final installation will be played back on a stand-alone audio playback device (likely the Cymatic LP16: cymaticaudio.com/.../live-player-lp16) which includes "standard MIDI File playback capabilities." 

What specific type of Midi Show control message is needed to send to the EOS/Nomad to trigger the light program we will create?

Can EOS/Nomad create this type of file? Or does anyone know if Reaper can create the signal that EOS/Nomad needs to receive to get the program going?

I am very new to this.

Thank you.

Parents
  • Eos can accept MIDI notes to trigger console events. Using third-party sound software (such as Live or Logic... and while I've never used Reaper, I'm sure that Reaper can do it as well), MIDI notes can be "recorded" into a MIDI file and played back over the MIDI ports of that Cymatic unit.  Eos cannot generate such a file directly.

In the Eos show control window, you can map each MIDI note to a console event (a Macro, a cue, etc.).  Generally, you can either choose to have the same note repeated at the start of each segment of music (and map that note to a macro that presses the [Go] button on your Eos system), or you can have many unique notes that trigger specific cues.  Either way will work, you just have to decide what will work best for your system.

Two things to keep in mind:
    •You must use a compatible USB-MIDI device on your Nomad computer.  See this thread for more information: https://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/eos-family-show-control-support-midi-smpte-osc-rtc-etc/23773/midi-over-usb

•I don't believe USB-MIDI devices are directly supported by Nomad on Mac OS.  If you're using a Windows computer, you'll be fine.  If you're using a Mac, you'll have to translate the MIDI notes to OSC using a program like OSCulator.

Hope that helps.

• Eos can accept MIDI notes to trigger console events. Using third-party sound software (such as Live or Logic... and while I've never used Reaper, I'm sure that Reaper can do it as well), MIDI notes can be "recorded" into a MIDI file and played back over the MIDI ports of that Cymatic unit.  Eos cannot generate such a file directly.

In the Eos show control window, you can map each MIDI note to a console event (a Macro, a cue, etc.).  Generally, you can either choose to have the same note repeated at the start of each segment of music (and map that note to a macro that presses the [Go] button on your Eos system), or you can have many unique notes that trigger specific cues.  Either way will work, you just have to decide what will work best for your system.

Two things to keep in mind:
    •You must use a compatible USB-MIDI device on your Nomad computer.  See this thread for more information: https://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/eos-family-show-control-support-midi-smpte-osc-rtc-etc/23773/midi-over-usb

•I don't believe USB-MIDI devices are directly supported by Nomad on Mac OS.  If you're using a Windows computer, you'll be fine.  If you're using a Mac, you'll have to translate the MIDI notes to OSC using a program like OSCulator.

Hope that helps.

Children
Related