OSC messages. Finding wheel info

I am working on an applicaiton to talk to EOS using OSC

I have setup a TCP connection, and enabled  OSC TX and I am seeing messages go back and forth.

I have a question re what is returned when a channel is selected, and how to know what my wheel values are.

Example.

/eos/user/11/cmd,,  41#(s)     ( IE select channel 41 as user 11)

I see some standard replies such as

/eos/out/user/11/cmd , LIVE: Cue  1 : Chan 41 # (S) 0 (I)
/eos/out/cmd , LIVE: Cue  1 : Chan 41 # (S) 0 (I)
/eos/out/active/chan , 41  [0] F-LED Test_Use_Only _4_3_L_Direct @ 773 (S)

Then I get the current wheel info for that user / channel

/eos/out/active/wheel/2 , Red  [100] (S) 3 (I) 100 (F)
/eos/out/active/wheel/3 , Amber  [100] (S) 3 (I) 100 (F)

And many more in some cases.

After the wheel info I see:

/eos/out/color/hs , 49.118282 (F) 40.685978 (F)
/eos/out/pantilt
/eos/out/xyz

Lets me know I have all the wheel info ( IE I see something other than an active/wheel message)

if the user#  already knows what wheels/values  are in use, - the output looks something like this. 

/eos/user/13/cmd , 5# (S)
/eos/out/user/13/cmd , LIVE: Cue  1 : Chan 5 # (S) 0 (I)
/eos/out/cmd , LIVE: Cue  1 : Chan 5 # (S) 0 (I)
/eos/out/active/chan , 5  [0] C1 Generic Dimmer @ 15 (S)

And nothing else. 

The Question - How can I tell that eos has given me all of the wheel information?

The question - how do I know that there are no additional wheels for this fixture?  I could of course set a timeout but that seems inelegant.

Parents
  • I have moved away from using the eos/out/active/wheel for feedback or control of parameters from eos over osc.  I'm using direct parameter control and creating parameter names locally.  You can use /eos/wheel/"parameter name" and get appropriate feedback and control even when using a mixed selection of fixtures. One of the issues with using active/wheels is that if you select a group of mixed fixtures the wheels may not match and you get unwanted and unlabeled attributes being controlled.  I know this choice moves away from what most people are trying to do with mimicking the onboard encoders but it works and is more reliable than using the active wheel numbers.

• How do you know what attributes are available for any specific channel?  I could not find a way to see what the profile is for my fixtures using OSC.  Am I missing something?

• You can use the wheels that are output to "discover" this but I have found it an unreliable method because in mixed groups you will not get accurate info and in some cases eos does not transmit wheels when it "should" I have changed my control method to one that is more predictable but i need to keep track of what attributes a fixture has myself.  It is a bit unclear what you are attempting to do with your app so I'm not sure how to help.  When you select a fixture it does transmit the name of the fixture profile with the channel info.  Are you looking for the console to output all the attributes as a list?

• You can use the wheels that are output to "discover" this but I have found it an unreliable method because in mixed groups you will not get accurate info and in some cases eos does not transmit wheels when it "should" I have changed my control method to one that is more predictable but i need to keep track of what attributes a fixture has myself.  It is a bit unclear what you are attempting to do with your app so I'm not sure how to help.  When you select a fixture it does transmit the name of the fixture profile with the channel info.  Are you looking for the console to output all the attributes as a list?

Children
No Data
Related