Time

why is one of my Ions not keeping time? is there an Internal Battery that needs to change?

[edited by: LUMN8 at 11:05 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Aug 6 2012]
  • What do you mean by not keeping time? Can you be more specific?

There is an internal CMOS coin cell that runs the real-time-clock and the BIOS settings.

If that battery is empty then you'll see an error message at the start of boot along the lines of "CMOS battery error, press F# to load defaults or F# to enter Setup", and the date would have reset to 1st Jan 1970.

If the year isn't showing as 1970, then this won't be the reason.

It may be the Time Service.
    Eos Family consoles are able to ask other devices on the network what the time and date is, to make it easy to set the same time in all your consoles in a multi-console system.

Browser > Exit.
    In Settings > Maintenance, Net3 Services section look for "Time Service".

In a multi-console system you'll want one of them set to be the time server, the rest as time clients.
    In a standalone console, you'll probably turn it off.

The Time Service is enabled and set to Client by default.

The one set to time server is the only one that will accept manual changes to time, all the time clients will change their clocks automatically if something on the network suggests a new time.
    If the console is being told the wrong time by something on your network (eg WiFi access point) then it will be wrong as time clients always just accept the time offered.

You can also turn the time service off completely and set the clocks manually.

[edited by: Richard at 1:20 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, Aug 7 2012]
  • About 2 months ago the clock was behind by about 10 minutes.   Now clock on my Ion reads 21 minutes behind the actual time.   I have gone into the shell to correct the time, then once back into "Primary" the time will stay correct for about 10 seconds and then pops back to the incorrect time.     I will check the Time Service to see if it is enabled.  Thank you.

Noey

Co- worker with Lumn8

• fyi-paradygm system is acting like the time server....version 2.0.2

• Have gotten your time situation figured out yet?

Let me know and I might have a few suggestions.

• Ah-yes-it was the PARADIGM over riding RPU time server...so thats what we use for all....thanks

Related