Eos Family Client Problem: Unable to start multiconsole networking services

I'm wondering if I've made a mistake somewhere in the past of my network settings and haven't caught it until now. This is not a sudden drop-out in service. I can't guarantee I've ever had a client working on this computer. 

My main symptom is:

When I attempt to start my client on my computer (macbook pro running 10.8.4 with Eos family offline 2.0.1.0.9.41) I get the "Unable to start MultiConsole networking services" error with an option to start anyway or cancel. 

If I choose start anyway, I can't see master consoles in the immediate network status display in the CIA. I haven't checked in the about system network tab but I can at work on Monday. 

It happens immediately as soon as I click the Eos Family Client button in the shell. It also happens when I click the element family client button, though I don't need that one anyway. If I let it sit, the error does not clear itself. 

My settings in the shell in the network category all seem to be correct. 

My IPs are good and I can, ping the RPU and Console IPs from my Network Utility. 

With wifi and other networks disabled, I do see the correct static IP I set in the shell network settings and I do see to correct network interface (en0) also. I also tried with a DHCP IP from my RPU running the DHCP Server. Again the IP given and shown in my apple network settings match that shown in the Eos Family shell. 

This leads me to believe that it is not a simple IP problem. 

My main question is, is there some service I've turned off somewhere that's broken the link or is there something else easy I'm forgetting?

I've tried things like creating a new network location with all services other than ethernet set to inactive and cleared the plist to reset to network defaults. 

I don't believe I've ever used the client software on this exact computer but I've done it in the past with others and had no problems. 

Thanks for any help!

Parents
  • When this has happened to me in the past it's almost always been because the 'Service Location Protocol' the Eos system uses to find friends across a network, but which is actually a Mac/Windows service, hasn't started up properly or has failed in some other way.

To check this, quit the Eos software then open the Mac's Activity Monitor application, make sure you have 'all processes' selected then type 'slp' into the find box.

Then run the Eos Client. Just after you hit the 'Client' button, you should see an 'slpd' process appear, with user 'daemon'. When you quit the client, it should vanish.

If that doesn't happen, something's up with that daemon (-a daemon is a program that is 'run' by the computer itself rather than by a particular user of that computer, usually to provide some background service to all users of the computer).

If it's showing even before or after you run the client, it may be that it's crashed, is not being cleared properly or is being used by something else. In that case, use the 'Quit Process' button in Activity Monitor to kill it manually (you may have to enter your system password for this), then try running the Client again. 

If it doesn't show up at all, try opening the Terminal application and running slpd manually by typing 'slpd<return>'. If it then shows up in Activity Monitor, try then running the Client again.

I have to say, I used to see this a lot a few years ago (then you wouldn't get an Eos error, but the client would failt to detect other consoles even though you could ping them from the Mac) and we suspected it was something to do with user permissions in the Eos Client vs the slpd daemon, but we never quite pinned down what. Whenever it did happen, running slpd manually would fix it. I haven't seen this happen on my system for a while. Second caveat is that I'm on an older version of the MacOS than you so things may have altered since. 

Give this a little check, though, and report back; if this is the problem maybe we can try to figure out what's causing that problem.

Rob.

• When this has happened to me in the past it's almost always been because the 'Service Location Protocol' the Eos system uses to find friends across a network, but which is actually a Mac/Windows service, hasn't started up properly or has failed in some other way.

To check this, quit the Eos software then open the Mac's Activity Monitor application, make sure you have 'all processes' selected then type 'slp' into the find box.

Then run the Eos Client. Just after you hit the 'Client' button, you should see an 'slpd' process appear, with user 'daemon'. When you quit the client, it should vanish.

If that doesn't happen, something's up with that daemon (-a daemon is a program that is 'run' by the computer itself rather than by a particular user of that computer, usually to provide some background service to all users of the computer).

If it's showing even before or after you run the client, it may be that it's crashed, is not being cleared properly or is being used by something else. In that case, use the 'Quit Process' button in Activity Monitor to kill it manually (you may have to enter your system password for this), then try running the Client again. 

If it doesn't show up at all, try opening the Terminal application and running slpd manually by typing 'slpd<return>'. If it then shows up in Activity Monitor, try then running the Client again.

I have to say, I used to see this a lot a few years ago (then you wouldn't get an Eos error, but the client would failt to detect other consoles even though you could ping them from the Mac) and we suspected it was something to do with user permissions in the Eos Client vs the slpd daemon, but we never quite pinned down what. Whenever it did happen, running slpd manually would fix it. I haven't seen this happen on my system for a while. Second caveat is that I'm on an older version of the MacOS than you so things may have altered since. 

Give this a little check, though, and report back; if this is the problem maybe we can try to figure out what's causing that problem.

Rob.

Children
Related