Effect Sorting

Hello,

I am seeking advice for sorting effects.  I freelance in a space where over the years we have created a slew of effects, all different types, just sort of ad hoc, with out any organization.

I now want to get those organized.  What do people do for sorting effects so that they are easily navigated?

Sort by type?
ie. 1-100 are step based, 101-200 are focus based, etc. etc.

Sort by system?
ie 1-100 affect downlights, 101-200 affect the movers on the floor, etc. etc?

Does that make sense?

Thanks! 

Parents
  • Here is my basic playbook.  (If you have a large number of position specific FX your mileage might vary)

FX 901 thru - EOS defaults

FX 921-929 Relative Focus FX   and then I use point numbers to determine groupings.  So FX 922.3 would be a pan wave in Grouping 3

FX 931 thru - Relative Int FX - 931 Steps, 932 Sign Waves, 933 Ramps, 934 Pulses, 935 4 point sign wave - again with the point numbers for groupings

941 thru - misc diffusion, iris and zoom fx.  951 - Misc gobo based FX

991 - Absolute Int FX - these all mimic the 931 set but using ABS fx instead of relative FX.

The 700 series is ABS Color FX based on CP numbers (I have 30 by type CPs that drive all that) 

The 800 series is stobe drum kit stuff.

It's about 1500 FX at the moment and it almost feels organized.

If you are going to reorganize it all - I would try to make it as non-specific to the venue as possible.  That way you can have a base of work you bring with you on outside jobs.

A good magic sheet would probably do you the most good.

• Here is my basic playbook.  (If you have a large number of position specific FX your mileage might vary)

FX 901 thru - EOS defaults

FX 921-929 Relative Focus FX   and then I use point numbers to determine groupings.  So FX 922.3 would be a pan wave in Grouping 3

FX 931 thru - Relative Int FX - 931 Steps, 932 Sign Waves, 933 Ramps, 934 Pulses, 935 4 point sign wave - again with the point numbers for groupings

941 thru - misc diffusion, iris and zoom fx.  951 - Misc gobo based FX

991 - Absolute Int FX - these all mimic the 931 set but using ABS fx instead of relative FX.

The 700 series is ABS Color FX based on CP numbers (I have 30 by type CPs that drive all that) 

The 800 series is stobe drum kit stuff.

It's about 1500 FX at the moment and it almost feels organized.

If you are going to reorganize it all - I would try to make it as non-specific to the venue as possible.  That way you can have a base of work you bring with you on outside jobs.

A good magic sheet would probably do you the most good.

Children
Related