Feature request - autosave

Following a discussion on another forum, the issue of autosave came up. Many consoles automatically save the current show as it is being edited, keeping incremental copies (as would happen if you hit shift-Update every 5 minutes, say). Would it be a useful feature to allow autosave to be turned on so that after some configurable period the desk has unsaved changes the desk automatically saves it, and if a different show is loaded when the current show has unsaved changes then the current show is autosaved. Obviously it should be configurable how autosave works and how often often. I'd suggest options to switch on/off

1) saving unsaved edits after a configurable period

2) saving unsaved edits before loading a different show

3) Whether to prompt before autosaving on loading a new show.

Thoughts?

Parents
  • while i generally like the idea, at the moment saving a showfile will clear the undo list and i wouldn't like this to happen without me controlling it...
  • Not to mention that the operator wants to be saving at a moment in the cueing process when the LD isn't calling commands. As well, when using multiple consoles, saving is a process that affects ALL consoles, thus the different operators all need to be a pause when a save is run. I also save to the thumb drive after saving to the HD, which an autosave might not do. SO I think this is one of those functions that the operator needs to know to do and should remain in control over.
  • Very valid points, and why it should be configurable and under the control of the operator. The consensus on the other forum was that other freelance LDs found it useful to have autosave on their consoles and wondered when ETC were going to offer the option.

• Autosave was in the initial development specification.   We decided not to do it because of the lack of control and the propensity to save at inopportune times.    We do discuss it periodically and it may go back on the list (as an option, because many people would hate it).  When a save is generated, all HD's on the system are impacted.   Until we make a decision to put it on the list, we are going to do the following:

1)  In 2.3, the browser will represent files that will change persistent storage in a different color.  Despite the indicator at the top of the browser as to which tool you are in (open, save, merge, etc), we still get complaints that people open files when they meant to save files.   So this is intended to help with that.

2)  We will hold the undo buffer through at least 2 save cycles.

3)  We have a requirement written that if you use the open feature and there is unsaved data in your current show file, we will post an advisory with a confirmation to save before opening the new file. 

At some point, setup will be restructured to break functions into system settings (and this would have to be a system setting), user settings and desk settings, with all options saved and restored to all system devices accordingly.  If we add autosave, the time to do it would be when setup is redesigned.

Thanks much!

Anne

• Thanks, Anne, useful reply. I have a feeling that the people who were commenting on the other forum tend to use consoles which are stand alone and not part of linked systems. In that instance the impact is smaller and more easily managed on a personal level.
Reply Children
No Data
Related