Nomad Dongle Upgrade process

Hi All,

Has anyone upgraded a Nomad dongle from 256 to 512 outputs? what is the process (obviously i purchase the upgrade from a reputable dealer). Is it a physical kit that gets sent out or is it a digital process?

Regards,

T

Parents Reply
  • Hi Corey....actually i didnt even check there.....I had gone to settings and noted the Computer Id was the Old dongle.....and wanted a new code...so assumed it wasnt. Have checked Both puters now. One i reloaded Software and yes its at the 1024 in about...and the other puter all i did was plug in dongle and it says 1024 in about. does that mean there is nothing else for me to do now.
Children
  • robin: correct. you purchased the dongle (hardware) that has already loaded the correct license by the dealer. everything fine.
  • Cool. thanks. Not so cool though that i have a programme wing for over $4k with two outputs but still have to by a license. sigh.
  • You could optionally spend $8k for the ion and get two outputs to work without a license.

• Here is the full Equipment break down and comparison. With Nomad. $1200, Programme Wing $4200, 2 x 10 Fader WIng $950, All in one Puter $600, and Full Multi Touch Monitor $420. Total $7370. With the Ion it would $8K pluss monitors and Fader wing. So Nomad set up does work out cheaper and more portable. Its just a Little bothersome...cause i Titan Mobile as well....Dongle for one Uni is $200, and A Titan Mobile programmer with 10 faders is $4K. and u get 4 uni.
  • I don't think that a dedicated Nomad rig is actually more portable than an Ion. Both systems need two monitors, a programming surface (Ion or Wing--and the wing is roughly the same volume as the Ion) and fader wings. With nomad you still need a computer (which it sounds like you're using an all in one for), and don't forget about all the power bricks and adapters.  But I'd be curious to see your road case setup.

Nomad is definitely more portable if you're already traveling with a laptop. And it's definitely cheaper if you already own a computer. 

• its the flexibility of options Nomad gives you. More portable as in Laptop can go in a napsack...and Wing goes in a case or bag. With Ion, You have to either travel with or spec Monitor/s to be at venue. With nomad...I dont need a second monitor, but can have the option. With the all in one, I have acustom Made case for it and the Programme wing to go into for travelling. The Fader wing pops into my Napsack. If i feel i need the second monitor i spec it at venue. would post pic...if i could figure out how
  • (click reply, clicke "use rich formatting", you will see two rows of icons, bottom row, 9th symbol from the left)
  • The All in one only has a back stand....so folds flat and is essentially a big Tablet. Goes in padded case under Programmer. can add a thrid Monitor if i want to spoil myself. but a bunch of Navigation Macros for snapshots makes it not necessary. Same when im using just the Laptop or All in one.
  • In my opinion, if you get all of the functionality of the ion, hardware and software side, as well as the 2 monitors for less than the price of an Ion, then the nomad package you have would then be considered fair priced. Usually you are losing out on a lot of hardware features in other console platforms, which is were the price disparity comes into play.

You can argue that the license pricing for DMX outputs seems high, but that is the price you are paying for a full functioning software and the support team that backs up that software. The advantage of the nomad pricing model is that you can start at a smaller scale and grow as your needs grow. You may not need a programming wing for your first set of shows, or ever. You may be able to program everything at in your office with nothing but a keyboard and some well made macros to speed up your workflow. One day that may change, and this is where you upgrade your set up, and at the end of the day end up saving money to have the same functionality.

You may see it as a pain the pricing is this way, but others are grateful. If you need lighting desk, buy one. If you need to control lights buy a nomad, and one day you can have a lighting desk as well, without having to get rid of what you already have purchased.
  • For me the nomad was the way to go; i flip between eos and cobalt; i also dont have the space for a full console in storage, and an ion for me is not $8k but $17k, so i have a system now thats more flexible; and upgradable for $2-3k
Related