Wireless connection from laptop to ION

I have been successfully running the ION Client on my Windows XP laptop connected via an Ethernet cable, both directly attached with a crossover cable and via a Ethernet switch.  This weekend I tried to connect using wireless (I have a wireless router set up as a switch and a Wireless access point.  Other access works fine using the wireless connection.  The switch is connected to our internal network).  I can connect successfully and operate from the laptop, however I frequently lose connection to the console.  The reconnect function always resynchronizes the client and the console but the connection fails again after a brief time.

Do you have some tips that would help me make a reliable connection via wireless? 

Parents
  • One issue that needs to be considered when setting up any DMX over ethernet setup, be it wired or wireless, is Broadcast Storm protection.  Basically DMX likes to shout.  The way all the various flavors of DMX over ethernet work is by one device (the lighting desk) shouting out values and instructions to all the other devices who simply listen and do as their told.  (This is changing somewhat, obviously, with ACN and RDM, but for the moment...)  A lot of hardware, including some off the shelf plug-n-play stuff, is trained to look for this pattern, because it's an attack that would crash most computer based networks, called a Broadcast Storm.  Another issue is called Multi-Cast Filtering.  I'm not going to pretend that I understand this aspect as well as a broadcast storm, but suffice it to say that the gear is trying to listen to, and evaluate the type of traffic on the network so it can juggle everything for optimal performance.  I know that Pathway has problems playing nice with this feature, I believe other networks are also less than fond of it.  Your best bet would be to surf into the router and the access point (instruction should be in their user manuals if you've never done it) and disable these features.  There's a couple of starting points, at least.  Hopefully this will solve your problems.

Jim 

• One issue that needs to be considered when setting up any DMX over ethernet setup, be it wired or wireless, is Broadcast Storm protection.  Basically DMX likes to shout.  The way all the various flavors of DMX over ethernet work is by one device (the lighting desk) shouting out values and instructions to all the other devices who simply listen and do as their told.  (This is changing somewhat, obviously, with ACN and RDM, but for the moment...)  A lot of hardware, including some off the shelf plug-n-play stuff, is trained to look for this pattern, because it's an attack that would crash most computer based networks, called a Broadcast Storm.  Another issue is called Multi-Cast Filtering.  I'm not going to pretend that I understand this aspect as well as a broadcast storm, but suffice it to say that the gear is trying to listen to, and evaluate the type of traffic on the network so it can juggle everything for optimal performance.  I know that Pathway has problems playing nice with this feature, I believe other networks are also less than fond of it.  Your best bet would be to surf into the router and the access point (instruction should be in their user manuals if you've never done it) and disable these features.  There's a couple of starting points, at least.  Hopefully this will solve your problems.

Jim 

Children
  • I have no idea what is communicated between the laptop as client and the ION but I don't think it is DMX.  The only place DMX appears is at the "backend" of ION.  My guess is it is more likely an ION application internal command interface and is not a high volume traffic.

I have not tried connecting only the laptop and the ION to the wireless to see if network traffic has any impact.  So far my testing has been with the wireless connected to our internal network.

• I agree with Dale.  I don't think in this instance it is DMX over ethernet, but just regular wireless communication.  Mind you, I am not exactly sure what "regular" is :-)

Related