Wireless connection from laptop to ION

I have been successfully running the ION Client on my Windows XP laptop connected via an Ethernet cable, both directly attached with a crossover cable and via a Ethernet switch.  This weekend I tried to connect using wireless (I have a wireless router set up as a switch and a Wireless access point.  Other access works fine using the wireless connection.  The switch is connected to our internal network).  I can connect successfully and operate from the laptop, however I frequently lose connection to the console.  The reconnect function always resynchronizes the client and the console but the connection fails again after a brief time.

Do you have some tips that would help me make a reliable connection via wireless? 

Parents
  • I have had no problems running my wireless router with my laptop as a client since 1.4.1. However, a basic grasp of networking (and ETC's networking) is required. I use a Linksys router and set it up with these settings...Set the router with a static IP of 10.101.158.254. Set the subnet as 255.255.255.0. Usually the router wont let you do a different subnet than what I described (if you can define it, it should be 255.255.0.0.). Now when you want to manage your router, your computer must be set to a static IP of 10.101.158.x (pick a number) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to change these settings back to "obtain IP address automatically" when you are done managing your router. Now from here it gets foggy for me since I set this up a while ago. Try setting the DHCP setting 2 different ways on your router (only one will work). Set it up to be a DHCP server assigning IP addresses. I don't think this will work, so after that, set it up to not give out IP addresses, and when you connect up to the wireless router, the console should give you an IP address. Remember to put your client dongle in, and give your wireless name (SSID) something you can recognize. I suggest using the encryption features, and MAC address filtering. To find your MAC address in Windows, click start, run, then type cmd in the command line. Then when in DOS, type ipconfig, and it will show you what your MAC address is for your wireless ethernet (be sure it is the wireless as it will show both the wired and wireless info). I hope this information will is helpful and not send more people into mass confusion. I remember having to try several different methods when setting it up, but it does work.
  • Brian, thanks.  We are working on a post to explain the various settings needed at the WAP to setup wireless, along with the routers that we've tested.  Should have that up shortly.

• Brian and Anne,

Next to Muhhamed Ali, you guys are the greatest!

Reply Children
Related