Effects and Magic Sheet for live adjustments

Hello,

let me start by saying that I'm an amateur, so my question might easily be down to me not using the console right. Also, there might be a better way to organize things and I would be more then happy to hear advice on this.

I often volunteer in a community/amateur theatre which uses an ETC Element 40. We are mostly doing theatre, so most of my experience with the console comes from shows which are best run as a sequence of cues. What I'm not so comfortable with is the one show that works a little bit different:

We're doing a show where several local artists are invited to perform on stage and will go through a small interview about their work. This can be everything from bands, solo musicians, dance numbers, acrobatics, magicians, spoken word... you get it. The host will usually roughly follow a fixed plan, so we know in which order artists will perform and so on, but we still need to be flexible and don't want to use a fixed cue list.

What we do is that we have several lighting situations on submasters, so there is a certain look for each artist and for the interview situations, for people entering the stage etc. which we can quickly access using the faders if we need it.
We then add effects and extras based on the base look we are currently in.

In particular, all the base looks contain lights on the back wall and we prepared a bunch of effects which can run on these while bands perform.
Currently, these effects are also on effect subs and we can activate the effect using the push button and control the speed with the fader.
As it is almost impossible to get the effect in sync with the music using the fader (and it often looks really terrible if it doesn't match) I also included a button in our magic sheet which activates the "tap to bpm"-macro and allows me to match the effects to the music.

Only problem: The effect must not only be activated/selected via the push button but must also be running (aka, the fader isn't allowed to be at zero) for this do work. So every time I start an effect, it comes on running at the "wrong" speed for a moment until I get the bpm right. Is there any way to make sure that I can select an effect, tap the bpm in and then start the effect?
Or is doing everything with the sub the wrong way to handle things?
It would be very convenient to be able to set the bpm first and to then choose if the effect should be running at a speed of 50% or 100% of this rate by using the fader.

And one additional question:
Say I have my effect running with the fader at 50% and then set the bpm to 100bpm. Does this mean that the effect now runs at 100bpm and goes to 200bpm if I push the fader to full or does it mean that the effect runs at 50bpm and goes to 100 if the fader goes up? Or putting it differently: Does the tap to bpm macro set the maximal bpm for the effect or the current bpm?

Sorry for the long post containing so many information which is unimportant for the actual question, but I also hope to get some infos from you which might make our workflow better... thanks in advance!

• I usually put an inhibitive right beside my effect subs, that just controls the Intensity of the fixtures.
    This way you can start the effects, set the bpm and then fade the fixtures in without having to have a seperate master for each effect.

I think the only way to tap the bpm for an effect before starting it is using OSC. Check Luminosus or Sound2Light on the ETCLab GitHub for that.

To my knowledge the bpm are set independently of the fader rate. Meaning that if you tapp 100bpm and the fader is at 50%, the effect runs at 50bpm.
    Assuming that the rate of the effect itself is set to 100.

• It might be a good idea to add some channels to the effect that aren't patched to addresses and leave them out of the inhibitive. Then you could preview what the effect will look like from a magic sheet before you bring up the inhibitive.
  • The percentage number for a fader (such as the number in the center of a virtual fader) refers to the position of the fader itself, not what it's controlling. 50% on a fader means the fader is halfway between top and bottom, which on an effect rate fader means "normal speed". (That's why it defaults to 50% when you load it.)
    I ran a small experiment. I learned the BPM of a running effect whose effect rate fader was set to 50%. It was about one beat per second. Sliding the fader to 100% didn't change the BPM value but the effect ran twice as fast, meaning two effect steps per second. Sliding it to 25% meant one effect step per two seconds.

• Thank you everybody!
    I now understand the relation between the fader and bpm, it roughly fits my observations during the show...

Using inhibitives might be a good way to go, but it will change the look we get on stage. We have a colour palette we use for most of the posters/advertising and which should also be visible in the lights and on stage. What we're doing right now is that usually the lights on the back wall (on which I want to run my effect later) are up and running during the whole show, giving us a pattern on the back wall.

If I understand the inhibitive right, it would mean that I'm forced to accept a black back wall while I set the bpm, correct?
    I need to test it on stage, but I'm quite sure this would mean an odd interrupt since the normal run is that the host and the guests are sitting stage left, lights focused on them and the pattern on the back wall. As soon as they want to play some music, stage left fades out, the lights stage right fade in while the back wall stays on, giving me a smooth transition from focus stage left to focus stage right. It might look odd if at the same time, the back vanishes just to come back up a second later.

Also a problem: It's not a global bpm rate, so I have to set it for every effect. Switching from Effect 1 to Effect 2 with the help from the inhibitive fader would again mean that I have a strange moment with a lot of black between effects, in the middle of a song. Or am I mistaken?

Somehow I have the feeling that there is something wrong with the way I use the console, or is everyone using Eos in a concert setting working with a bunch of bpm rates chosen in advance and hopes to have the right one at hand when it is needed?
  • Before you start the first effect, park the lights. Run the effect, get the BPM right, and then unpark them. When you switch effects, you can first park all the lights at the same intensity while you make the transition, e.g. Group 1 @ 5 Park Enter, and then unpark them once you get the second effect dialed in.
  • No, you are not using the console wrong. Sadly it is not quite as matured when it comes to live-effect handling as other consoles are, as it was designed with theatre (and therefore preprogrammed shows) in mind.

You should definitely check out the options OSC gives you though. Download Luminosus.
    It gives you the option to tap the bpm for every single effect, or groups of effects, wether they are started or not.
    If an effect is not running by the time you tap, it will apply the bpm immediately as soon as it is started.

• Thank you very much!

I played around with the offline EOS software and it seems to me that Park would integrate rather seemlessly in our workflow. The theatre is currently used by another group, but I will get an opportunity to try it out live in february (perhaps earlier...)
    If this solution works it shows that I wasn't so wrong about using the console in a less then optimal way: It never occured to me to use Park...

Luminosus sounds interesting, but requires some negotiation skills from me: The theatre is used by several groups and if I want to integrate something new into the system I need to discuss it with everyone else first - the problems of a guest ;-) But since they already use a tablet and TouchOSC in order to make focussing easier, it might be an option. I will ceertainly look into it for my own education.
Related