Building old-style fader-controlled submasters on the Element

Hi! I just started a new school job, and am earning how to work with LEDs and the Element for the first time. I’ve got 5 different models of LED lekos, pars, and bars in my hybrid (LED/conventional) rig, plus a couple of Martin MAC Quantum Profile moving heads. I know conventionals well and am all set there. On the LED side, I’ve figured out the DMX address conventions, and have assigned each LED instrument to its own channel on the Element (same as the conventional). I've also learned how to set an LED's intensity and color in the context of building a cue. So far so good.

Now that I have that covered, I would love to know how to create submasters that hearken back to the days of "spontaneous lighting design" for live concerts, where all the main lighting areas, plus a whole bunch of PAR color washes and other “looks,” were available at the nudge of a fader. Is there a way, in the age of LEDs, to build such subs as “SL blue” or “jazzy look” or “all downs” and assign each to its own individual fader for use in submaster mode?

Thanks!

Parents
  • Oh absolutely, that's exactly what subs are for!

With nothing on (GotoCue Out Enter) bring up channels and colours, press Record and then the bump button of a fader. You might get an overwrite confirmation alert. After that, clear your stage (GotoCue Out Enter) and bring up the fader. Enjoy ;)
    Then rinse and repeat.

You can also start to build some modular looks, that you can combine. To do this you should make sure that you record selectively. So instead of just pressing Record you can specify what should be recorded. List that before pressing Record.

E.g.
    Chan 1 thru 5 Color Record ...
    Group 3+6+7 Record ...
    SelectActive - Intensity Record ...
  • Oh absolutely, that's exactly what subs are for!

With nothing on (GotoCue Out Enter) bring up channels and colours, press Record and then the bump button of a fader. You might get an overwrite confirmation alert. After that, clear your stage (GotoCue Out Enter) and bring up the fader. Enjoy ;)
    Then rinse and repeat.

You can also start to build some modular looks, that you can combine. To do this you should make sure that you record selectively. So instead of just pressing Record you can specify what should be recorded. List that before pressing Record.

E.g.
    Chan 1 thru 5 Color Record ...
    Group 3+6+7 Record ...
    SelectActive - Intensity Record ...
Children
No Data
Related